Stories of incredible luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stories of incredible luck

I had an incredibly lucky start to a game a little while ago, and that inspired me to think about starting a thread about the times when pure, shameless, undeserved luck set you off to the path to victory.

So I'll share my dumb-luck experience to start off:

My luckiest game ever was my first try at a marathon game - I played on Noble, and chose Napoleon of the French to play as, on a small Pangea map.

First, I noticed that I had a very nice starting spot, with rivers, hills and forests, plus stone and if I remember correctly, pigs; and there was a tribal village that I could see.

So I founded the city, and went for the tribal village... and got a warrior. So now I had two units to scout with.

I did my scouting and soon found two tribal villages more; the first one, I got a free tech: Animal Husbandry! And to top it off, horses were discovered right next to my capital! I couldn't believe my luck! Free techs in marathon games are especially significant because of the long time it takes to research things.

Want to guess what I got from the next tribal village? Yup, horseback riding!!

So here I was, with an aggressive leader, miles ahead of the others in very militaristic techs, with a capital city that had access to plenty of hammers... what to do, oh what to do?

Well, you can probably figure out which victory path I chose. After all, it would be practically CRIMINAL not to go on a pillaging, razing, mad rampage with an advantage like that handed to you for free!

This ment that once I got archery, I was able to make horce archers at a time when my unsuspecting victims-to-be were on the verge of getting archers!

This was about the time I met Isabella to the south, Bismark to the east - I was near the north-west corner of the continent, little later the Mao Zedong east of Isabella, and Victoria south of Mao.

Isabella got the axe (or arrow) first, and her capital was the only one of my conquests I kept instead of razing. Mao was next on the list, and then Victoria.

By the time I had won a conquest victory, with Bismark being the last victim for my merciless army of horse archers, my one remaining opponent had just managed to build his first charriots, which I quickly sent to greener pastures.

A short and sweet game, not exactly what I expected from a marathon.

My first conquest victory too - the only victory type I hadn't yet seen; by far the best victory animation.

So, has anyone else had similar strokes of luck prove decisive in their games?
    Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

cheers for this

hope you do some more.
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
    X