Odd way to win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd way to win

After trying since the 1700s to get Hatsheput to like me enough to vote me in to a diplo victory (I held 250/300 votes, Frederick gave me another 8 for saving his last city from the French, and Hatsheput wast he only other one who voted me for Secretary General), the **** seemed to hit the fan around 1900.

I had a huge tech lead (Renaissane to Post Modern type huge) and had secured most of the land on the new continent (Terra map), but it still wasn't enough. So I went to war with my old enemy Montezuma, rapeing and pillaging as I go. Knights and Longbowmen prove horribly ineffective against Modern Armor. As the war there winds down, Napoleon declares war on Hatsheput.

My land formed a wedge between France and Egypt on the main continent, and on the second one both colonies were engulfed by my (formerly Barabarian) cultural borders. The next turn she asked me to go to war with France and happily obliged. My Modern Armor won easily in the field, but due to the presence of Riflemen I had to rely on air superiority to take Orleans and Rheims. I pushed on Paris but never got a chance to finish it before 1960 when....

The new votes for Diplomatic Victory came in. 315 votes required for victory. I voted for myself (308 votes). Kublai Khan votes for himself (90 votes). Napoleon Abstains (50 votes). Montezuma Abstains (11 votes). Hatsephut Abstains (85 votes-greedy wench). And the man with one (very small) city, stuck in the early Renaissance, a non-factor for over a thousand years, Frederick votes for me (8 votes). Bringing my total to 316 of 315 required votes. Diplo victory.

Oddly enough it plays the video for what I assume is a Domination Victory. Looking at the message at the bottom it says I won via Domination. Turns out my cultural borders expanding gave me 64.5% land control, and I had population securely in hand since the beginning, so I had won a Domination victory as well.

Long story short, I won two different ways on the same turn.
    Last edited by Aquendwato; December 2, 2005, 00:14.

Haha, interesting story there. Two victories on the same turn - and both sort of unexpected (diplo from Fred instead of Hatty, and domination due to cultural borders expanding ). Sounds like a fun game.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

Try something harder than settler next time.

Comment

I've wondered if it would occur that you could win all six (seven?) types of victory on the same turn. Obviously it would need impecable timing but nevertheless is possible. The question is, which victory type has priority?

just a thought

re: AL DA GREAT. great contribution!
        regards,

Peter

Comment

Nice, winning twice in one round... did that give double score?
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

screenie....please
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

The only saves I have of that were autosaves that have been overwritten, so no screenies unfortunately. You don't get double points for winning twice.

Comment

Working...
              X