Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Missionary Tale

EEP writing inspiration!

Jon knew that this would be difficult. He loved his God so much, that he knew the faith must spread even as his decaying Greek homeland was being destroyed by the Mongolian Hordes from the far seas.

Jon remembered the teachings, "Love thy neighbor as you would want thy neighbor to love you."

He remembered the call "Go forth and make disciples of ALL nations."

He remembered the writings of the Prophet Habakkuk in the Old testament, "I heard and my heart pounded, my lips quivered at the sound; decay crept into my bones, and my legs trembled. Yet I will wait patiently for the day of calamity to come on the nation invading us."

He knew that those words were powerful words, but Jon was not sure that words alone were going to save Greece.

He did know that Greece's leader, Alexander, was not quite as great as he called himself, and was really surprised when, at the height of war, Alexander would fund a missionary to go all the way to Mongolia. Jon didn't care about the politics behind it though, He loved Jesus Christ, and was determined to aid the Mongolians to realizing that love for themselves.

Jon knew that the trip would be perilous, no Grecian had ever lasted long in Mongolia, and it becomes doubly hard to fit in when you are detracting from the oldest religious history in the world.

It was no matter though, Jon was to go with a small military force, led by his childhood friend Cyprus of Cyprus. The military aspect didn't mean much to Jon, but the salvation of his friend's soul meant everything, and Jon wanted certainty that Cyprus would be joining him in heaven.

"Cyprus, with all of this death around us I am curious, what do you think will happen to you when you die?"

"I'm going to heaven."

"How do you know? Are you 100% sure that you are going there?"

"Well, maybe not 100% I mean, I've killed thousands of men in God's name though, that has to account for something right?"

"But the Bible says this, 'For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works so that no one can boast.' Wouldn't that mean that killing thousands in the name of God only accounts for your deeds on earth and has no bearing on God's judgement on the final day?"

"I guess so, but then how do you get to be 100% sure?"

"Well it seems that the penalty for sin is eternal damnation in Hell. It would stand to reason then, that someone needs to pay the penalty in order to allow another into heaven."

"How can I pay the penalty then?"

"You can't, you are sinful, only one who is without sin may pay a penalty for sin because he is the only one capable of appearing before God."

"Well, ok, now I understand where Jesus comes in, how will he pay the penalty for me?"

"Serve Him faithfully, work to increase your knowledge of Him, and fervently pursue him in prayer, always be willing to tell Him your sins, and repent for them, turning from them forever, and always ask His forgiveness, while giving Him thanks."

"That sounds like a lot of work, I thought it wasn't about works."

"No, its not about works, but one who has been assured of their salvation will actively seek out those works and do them out of reverence."

"Then I will pray, and ask Him to take charge of my works so that I am serving Him instead of myself."

Next Time: Mongolia
    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...
Working...
X