X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Game: Noble as French

Wow, Civ IV is a great game!

First, the preliminaries:

French Louis XIV (Industrious/Creative), Noble Difficulty, Standard Map, Pangea, Epic Length. The other nations were England, Rome, Russia, Greece, China, Persia.

This is off memory, so I'll try to be as detailed as possible!

I started off on the western-most part of the huge continent. Built Paris on the coast, which had a decent start location. After a few turns I met the Russians, Romans, and English.

Things started to get interesting when the early religions were founded. I discovered Hinduism, while the Russians discovered Buddhism. The English, who were to my northeast, followed in my footsteps and became Hindus.
    Unfortunately, the Romans to the east chose to follow the Buddha. Things were going to get heated! Not surprisingly, I became good friends with the English. There was alot of friction between the Romans and I - we were competing for the same space and war always felt like it was on the verge of breaking out. The Russians were far enough away that despite our difference of religion, we got along rather well.

Time passes, built a few cities, tensions between me and the Romans grow. No problem, I have a good friend in the English right? Well, unfortunately for me, I see that they are rather small, and are starting to get crowded out by the Romans. In addition, one of their cities is in the north pole, so while they are loyal ... I am not sure if they can help me in a future war!

Luckily, something happens that makes my decisions easier. The English found Taoism, and change from my dearest of friends to bitter enemy! At this point, the Romans have declared war on the English, and I don't let the oppurtunity to grab a few English cities pass me by!

The Romans capture two cities, York and a pathetic thing in the north pole. Luckily, I swoop in just in time to cease London, the Tao Holy City. Very Fitting! The English are no longer!

While the Romans and I have not fought a war yet, our relations are rather strained. Since they are good friends with the Russians to the southeast (whom, at this point, are #1 in the rankings) I am rather worried about the future.

Just in time, I meet the Chinese and the Greeks. Not sure where they are at this point, but I find out later they are on the eastern coast of the continent, along with the Persians, whom I do not actually meet until sometime later. I am able to become goods friends with the Greeks, mostly because we share the same civics, but also through some trade agreements. This is a good thing since they are 3rd in the rankings and could come in handy!

Some time passes, and I make the decision to convert to Buddhism. My relations with the Russians was already quite good - but this improves it drastically. In addition, the relations between Rome and Russia have deteriorated somewhat as they compete for territory, and I become Russias new best friend!

Meanwhile, China and Greece are at war, and Greece is whoomping them. In what is a courageous move, China eventually sails all the way to the western part of the continent to found a 1 tile island (LOL) south of Paris in order to survive! I did not know this city was even here until I had built a navy of my own! Eventually, Greece captures every Chinese city, and I am able to culturally-annex the 1 tile chinese city. The Chinese are eliminated. Not bad!

At this point, I have 7 cities, 5 that I built on my own that are starting to do rather well, London, which is starting to build up, and the chinese fishing island. At this point there is no room for me to expand - the Romans have blocked me off. It's time to give myself some breathing room - war! Since turning Buddhist the Russians and I have great relations and they back me up against the Romans!

Meanwhile on the eastern part of the continent, Greece is expanding rapidly - no more chinese threat. Greece starts moving up the rankings to first, with Russia second, with the French/Romans/Persians pretty much even at 3rd-5th.

The Persians, sandwiched between Russia and Greece, decide to declare war on Russia in an attempt to expand. My allies ask for help and I oblige! My knights, lowgbowmen and catapults beigin their trek to the middle of the continent, and I meet the Persians on the battlefield! This was a rather risky thing to do as it exposed my main cities to the Romans, who were of course, not very happy with me about our prior war. Luckily, things go rather well, and I actually snag 3 Persian cities, sandwiched between Russia and Persia/Greece. I sue for peace, leave a few units behind, and move the main army back home!

I change to "Free Religion" and drop my state religion of Buddhism. Ironically, this doesn't really bother the founders the Russians (we are very good friends), but the Romans are absolutely furious! So they declare war. With a few hundred gold, I am able to convince the Russians to join as well! Romans amassed a sizeable army but eventually fall and I'm able to snag a few more cities.

As the modern era rolls around, Greece actually takes 1st spot, France in 2nd, Russia falls to 3rd, but is still ahead technologically. I fight a few small wars with Rome at this point, a few cities changing hands in my favor.

The space race begins. Russia and I are pretty much neck and neck the whole way through, but the gap they had formed technologically over the years was just a tad much for me to close in time. In four more turns, I would have launched the shuttle, but the russians beat me to it! I suppose I could have tried a last ditch war at the very end (I had developed some nukes just in case! hehe) but I did not have it in my heart to nuke my strongest ally dating back to the ancient era.

Here's a screenshot of the later part of the game.. one of the wars against the Romans. Russia is involved as well. Notice the chinese island I have annexed southeast of Paris ... those units are Russian units guarding it! I only have 1 longbowmen of my own there! Nice to see the AI watching out for their allies!

Here is another one showing my empire. Notice on the mini map there is some purple in the middle of the continent. Those are a few cities I was able to wrestle from the Persians when I joined on the side of my buddies the Russians!

Anyways, that is all. Hope it was a semi-enjoyable read (long one), sure was fun as hell to play!

-Otrant

edit: added screenshots
    Last edited by Otrant; October 30, 2005, 18:53.

Good AAR, Ontrant.

(AAR = After Action Report)

Comment

Pretty cool little game there. Thanks Otrant.
      The Chinese last stand on the island is funny as heck
      Last edited by Sartaq; October 31, 2005, 04:14.

Comment

Working...
      X