Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pieces of Peace 10-30-2005

Chapter One

So I have to tell you, things haven’t gone so well with humanity over many spans of existence.

This is our 4th try in hopes of truly making a better more civilized world.

I am Grandpa Troll and I have been asked to lead creation from its meager beginnings to a more fruitful and longer existence.

I have been given charge over all details and including whom I would like to lead my countrymen. I had to go with a kind hearted but stern willed leader who has quite the resume. His name is Franklin D. Roosevelt. Why his whole family has leadership tattooed from top to bottom.

We started our world with the founding of Washington D C. We trained and sent forth several warriors teams one to the north by northwest, named them for their feisty but overall loving endearment to our cause, Sons of Thunder. The other team, they would know where a good deal for future land would be for both prosperity and success with limited liabilities attached, and that would be Nader’s Raiders.

Off they went and we concentrated on the expansion of our locale site or settlement as you were. We then trained and commissioned first homeland defender, P.O.Tomac to watch our fortunes and futures. Then we trained someone we hoped would lead us by his standards and integrity of work ethics, our very own Polly TiCian. He was a big fellow, brawny, but a little fat some would say, enjoyed occasional naps but overall seemed a very willing worker, strong, apparently cut his teeth on Pork Barrel something or another.

As me and Roosevelt stood on the hills just south of Washington D C, we both heard the wind song through the trees, it kind of sounded like a mishmash of flutes and tingling glass, with a barely audible tone, seemed to be saying Buddhism was afar off. We both shrugged it off as mere coincidence.

Growls of deep and deafening behemoth gnashing of teeth from our southeast position gave clue that we had Bears. Our warriors took them out while from the northeast growling came from another type of beast, hissing of strong panthers but alas the Sons of Thunder put them asunder.

Time passed as we worked the land, planting crops for farming and clearing land to show some semblance of a community on the go, growing and supporting itself.

We hear approaching visitors and our guests introduces himself as a Frenchman, one Napoleon Bonaparte’. I eye him and although he is short in stature, he certainly makes up for it in attitude. He wishes peace and Roosevelt assures him we seek the same. I wonder why he keeps his hand inside his lapel, maybe he is a phobic about shaking hands, certainly he has a complex about his height, nudging Roosevelt, I whisper, “Did you catch the heels on him, Franklin, 5 inch platforms, man, he is sure a short dude.”

I do hope the bears go away, and find some one else to live off of
    Attached Files
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Chapter Two

Some years have passed since Napoleon left us when a very sultry looking beauty came calling upon us. I nudged Franklin, “Check this one out will ya?”

She came up and introduced herself” I am Queen Isabella of Spain, but you may call me anytime”, winking and twirling half way around to check out the scenery then catching us both checking her out” NOT!”, she snapped staring us down.

Then we all laughed and she continued, I am Spains most dedicated leader and could desire the friendship of such a country as America, what do you say, shall we enjoy peaceful times together….”her words hung in the air as she touched her lips with her polished nails awaiting our response.

“Sure, peace sounds great Maam” answered Roosevelt.

She curtseyed and then bid us adieu, smiling so disarmingly as she left.

“Nice neighbor” I quipped

“Yup” answered Roosevelt.

New York was our next settlement and it was on a peninsula and we felt it would be a target for any thieves by water, so we had a special leader in mind to defend it. We chose Carmine DaNuccio. He was an Italian by birth, and a son of a ..well, you get the picture. Not highly educated but strong willed and a good heart.

Rumors of Judaism and Hinduism have caught the ears of a few workers but we continue on, seemingly oblivious to these heretics, eyeing only the fact that we had grown and we now starting a third settlement and that would be know as Boston.

Philadelphia was soon founded south of New York on the backside of a huge mountain toehold, jutting out and a superb defensive location. Production from mining will help in the future I know. Having been somewhat a scholar in Greek, we decided that Philadelphia would be known as the City of Brotherly Love. The defender we chose will be known as Agape’ or Godly Love.

We exchange open border policies with both France and Spain.

Apparently Isabella doesn’t like this and demands, stomping her feet and pouting her lips, that we end any current and desist from any future agreements with France, to which we tell that dame it aint possible, we are Alpha Males and well, she should tend to her people and let us tend to ours.

Time is flying by when we receive some very pleasant news, apparently their has been this writer, named If I remember, Ewel Gibbons and he says America is the 3rd largest civilization.

Roosevelt and I just nod approvingly outwardly but inwardly we know we arebehind the curve of success and that curve waits for no man.

Time to buckle down and get to work on a great work of art and one that will put us on the map.

Me and Roosevelt had gone for a walk when he said "Gramps, sorry, but keep an eye out, I gotta take a dump" pausing he asked for fear of his own safety, the age old question"see below"
    Attached Files

Comment

Pieces of Peace Chapter Three

In our Capital, Washington D C we hired a wonderful appearing, smooth talking and very engaging and energetic engineer to construct what we would call The Oracle. Apparently, when you have this you have it all. This will be the tell all, end all to your woes in life, health, and happiness. When you get focused you can do anything. So says its inventor and engineer, Prophet Tony Robbins. What an amazing discovery of self he professes.

Moving on to New York City. An assembling of stones in the form of the Chinese game of dominoes, but a much larger scale mind you, called Stonehenge, this has brought us much prestige. A wise man hath stated” From this day forth we will be the core of the America. Come, eat of the fruit that is the Big Apple”

Much construction has been worked on with roadways to connect our various settlements. Atlanta has sprung up in our eastern area and many barbaric nomadic tribes seemingly want to take advantage of this. We have sent many to defend for it is important to strike out and establish outposts.

Queen Isabella has come calling, her hair up in a bun, riding crop in hand and she sure looks like she means business.

“President Roosevelt, you and your lapdog Grandpa Troll had best quit coddling Napoleon or I will be one upset lady!” snapping her head sideways, cutting eyes as if that means something to us.

“What did she call me?” I smirked at Roosevelt.

“She said you were my lapdog” he mused.

“I believe it would be best for all involved Queen of Spain” advised Mr. Roosevelt, “If we could sit down and talk things out”

She simply shrugged her shoulder and sternly warned as she left, pointing her finger at us “you have been warned”

Meanwhile Alexander the Great of Greece seeks a peaceful relationship with our country.

We agree and off he goes.

“President Roosevelt, I would think it appropriate that we begin some military projects in case next time we see Queen Isabella, she has an armada backing her words” I implore.

“Gramps, your wise beyond your years” he slaps me on the back,” we need to increase funding for research”
      Attached Files

Comment

excellent as always
        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

keep it coming

Comment

So this is what you do when you are typing 90 miles an hour on the computer. I have stepped into your world of Aployton. Great story writing. Watch out for Queen Isabella, she can be a shrewd ruler.
            GrandpaTroll's bite is louder than his bark, so before approaching, immunization is highly recommended.
            "We live in the Land of the Free only because of the Brave!"
            Chocolate is not better than sex, but if you think chocolate is better, please tell me where you buy your chocolate!

Comment

Pieces of Peace Chapter Four

I may have to advise a change of heart on Queen Isabella. We may need to take her out but a much more pressing issue is that of these barbarians attacking us, worse than the Huns mind you!

I see our beloved President FDR, and catching up to him ask him of his opinion on this matter.

“Gramps, we can face them now or face them later along with who knows what, Isabella or that short feisty Napoleon which I don’t have to remind you is a bit shifty and nervous acting. Its like he has something to prove?” advised President Roosevelt.

I order our cities to start producing archers and plenty of them. We set forth to go after two different and very secluded barbarian encampments. One of our groups of archers was ambushed and was bludgeoned and left for wild animals to finish off. This did not deter the rest who laid waste to several raiding parties.

Atlanta is in a battle for survival and well defended, the barbs hit them twice a week.

We have many workers connecting the outposts for travel and resupply.

I do hope our training academies train and equip enough to stay ahead of these barbs.

As focus shifted to offensive actions against the perpetrators, we are met with an emissary and his guest.

“Greetings to America and” he paused, ever so slightly a smirk was detected but not over the obvious and not hidden look of disdain toward us” our hope of peace and amicable relationships”

I couldn’t help myself and FDR was a step ahead, knowing this would prompt a reaction,” How ya’ll doing” he drawled out, extending his hand for a greeting.

An awkward moment as the emissary looked over to his friend “This is Alexander the great, by Great I mean he rules the Elite of the crème de-la-crème, not the commoner folks” pausing again to ever so slightly smirk” that perhaps you may be used to knowing”

He continued as Alexander was eyeing one of our workers, a young strapping lad who was working up quite a sweat in the mine entrance “Greece wishes an open border with you”.

We agreed and Alexander thanked us and asked if that man was a slave boy, to which we offered no, that’s Hank Hardman.

They departed and we had quite a laugh. “I couldn’t believe I said Hardman, well, it seemed to fit him, you know?” offered FDR.

“Did ya get a hold of the two of them jokers?” One was pompous and arrogant the other well, he was a fine fella”

About a week passed when we struck a deal, excluding Hank of course, for some gold of theirs and corn for cows and sheep, which we had plenty of.

We now took in a Great Prophet by the name of Zoroaster who we sent to Boston to help with an ongoing project, The Parthenon.

We got word a month later he indeed did help construct it and also worked a deal out with the workers and now we are making more money than before at a great rate of efficiency.

Our great country was enjoying a better economy now and a new age entered our land, which was foretold by this Prophet as the Medieval Age.

We assembled enough troops to take Zhou and defeat one of many barbarian encampments.

Times are looking good and surely we will soon hear from Queen Isabella, this time I hope she will be in a better mood.
              Attached Files

Comment

Pieces of Peace Chapter Five

With diligence backed by tenacious assault power, the barbarian stronghold of Teotihuacán fell and with it we helped recover some valuable to the tune of over 130 gold shekels.

A few barbs were in the tree line but scattered when the inevitable took place.

As President Roosevelt and I were looking over the new found colony, we found a dispatch from a far away location and it read that a well known to someone other than us by the name of Tacitus has proclaimed is one of the three top and most advanced civilizations in the world.

“Well Gramps, this is a good thing, I suppose” offered our President.

“It could mean we won’t have to bow to Queen Isabella” I mused.

Nudging me in the ribs, President Roosevelt whispered, “She wants you Gramps, ya know. She is well eyeballing you!”

I smile courteously back as he muffles a chuckle and we both turn our attention to the entourage approaching.

“Men of honor, our culture has some teachings of what is known as Mathematics and in exchange for your most superior Horsemanship skills we could help you further advance” she smiles, fluttering her eyes ever so playfully.

We all agree and she turns and drops her hankie and peers over her shoulder at us as we clamor for it.

“Relax boys, time for chivalry later, I will be back and one of you can wipe the dust from my brow if it so please you” she laughs strutting off.

We both just smile and then return to our task at hand, securing our borders.

A rider comes forth and he introduces himself as Asoka, from the Indian tribes of this native land. He offers an agreement consisting of pen borders between our nations. We agree and he departs.

“Maybe one day, we can buy some land from him Mr. President” I offer.

“Indeed, maybe he will have need for some of our many treasure we posses in exchange” F D R responds.

Our culture grows and advancements now taught by travelers offer the communication of Alphabet. We now also have over ½ million souls living in our lands, spread far and wide.

In the fall Queen Isabella returns, and she is ticked. She stomps her feet and demands we cut off all deals with Napoleon. We immediately turn her down and she warns us to be aware she does not take this kindly.

Chicago is now our southwestern most settlement to help on a pointed peninsula any approaching vessels.

Continued infrastructure to help us grow from a snails pace is under way throughout all the land..

We start a most momentous project to help heal the ills of our people’s soul, actually called the Hanging Gardens.

As we marvel at it and its modest beginnings, you know it, she rides in and demands we share our knowledge of metal casting.

“I’m not sure where she got her manners from but she certainly doesn’t have a man around to remind her of her place.” I laugh as she departs.

President Roosevelt offers a kind suggestion, “Gramps maybe she wants” but I cut him off “NO!”

Future Real Estae deal with Asoka for a small meaningless piece of Island with acouple beavers and few fishes, we offer Great Medicinal Beads and a possibility of some very magic flowers from our cultural Hanging Gardens.

Asoka asks what is the culture thing I speak of. I tell him not to be concerned, nothing that would suit him.

Attached Files

Comment

Great story, I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Nice idea by the way of picturing yourself somehow next to the Leader as an advisor or something.

Comment

Working...
                  X