What I Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I Think

I've been playing for a day now, and it's definately a good game. Compared to Civ3, it's not as good to me. I just liked Civ3 better. I think the main reason is the interface. I don't like this new interface. I like reading text lists, not scanning through a bunch of icons. I used the Civilopedia all the time in Civ3. I'm never going back there again in Civ4! The city screen is just weird. I have to lean forward and squint a little before I can tell which tiles are part of the city. The graphics are really good, but sometimes too good, and take a little away from the game itself, by making things cluttered.

The soundtrack; very different from the previous Civs. It's not bad, but I probably just don't see it as fitting because I'm conditioned to the old ones.

I like the new way units are promoted, though the little icon is too small to easily tell what promotions they have. I kind of miss having actual government types, but I like the new way, and the religion aspect adds a whole new level.

One thing I noticed that seemed weird to me was where it'll say something like "100% American" in the city screen. After I took a city, it said 0% American. Several turns later, it said 100%. Is it simulating people dying and being born or something? The population hadn't changed at all.

Some of the problems I've had is it occasionally crashes to the desktop, and once it made my computer spontaneously restart. (though I have no proof it was Civ4 that did it, too lazy to find a log...) Another problem I occasionally experience is the info popup in the lower left sometimes stops working. If I wiggle the cursor around enough, it'll eventually come back.

One thing I wish it did was autosave every turn. I'll bet this is a setting in the ini file. If not, it should be.

So I guess my main problem is with the new interface. I've only been playing a day, so hopefully it'll get less cumbersome and annoying with time. And what do they have against an index in the manual?
    Where are you from? Put yourself on the Apolyton Map!

no CTDs in here so far...

Comment

One thing I wish it did was autosave every turn. I'll bet this is a setting in the ini file. If not, it should be.

AutoSaveInterval = 1

Set to one to save each turn.

We need to start making a FAQ...
      So I guess my main problem is with the new interface. I've only been playing a day, so hopefully it'll get less cumbersome and annoying with time.

It is a change compared to C3, give it some time...once you start to really recognise you'll probably prefer it that way but I can certainly understand people not really liking it at first.

One thing I noticed that seemed weird to me was where it'll say something like "100% American" in the city screen. After I took a city, it said 0% American. Several turns later, it said 100%. Is it simulating people dying and being born or something? The population hadn't changed at all.

Has to do with culture...
      100% 'YourCiv means' that the city is 100% "loyal" to you. Same with tiles (use the Shift key), when they go under 50%, you'll loose it as the ownership will change hands.
      If it happens to a city, you may lose it completely.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
      X