Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first games

Started my first game yesterday:

I chose Saladin, second easiest level. One thing was eastablished as a fact almost instantly; I am hooked! Massive fun, although the game was incredibly easy. I built up my civ between Roosewelt, my little dog(who I culturally stole two cities and lots of land from, but still he loved me, as I was his best buddie; same religion, same civics mostly, and I helped him when he needed it), and everybody else's favourite hate object, and that Inca who I got worse and worse terms with, until I decided enough was enough, and took half his country before I stopped. I wanted to take more, but my economy didn't allow it and my forces was running thin. After this I began a massive building approach for the rest of the game, taking all wonders on my way and ultimately winning a space victory with no problems from the rest of the civs. A real fun game, but much too easy of course. It took some time though, I started around 14-15 midday and was not finished before right before midnight. Where did the time go?

So today, I started a new game:

The Indians, Noble. But now the technical problems came in. I don't know if it was because I used my own machine this time or just that I was unlucky, but my game proved unresumable after a break; whenever I had played two turns into the save, my computer restarted!

My third game was as Saladin again, but this time on Noble level. In the start, everything went pretty well, I was competing with the Indians for the first place, with maximum 50 point between us until the late Middle Ages. But I was unlucky and got stuck in the eastern part of the continent, and only got 4 cities before all possible expansion was impossible. In retorspect, I should probably have tried to build more cities inside my land, but I decided to try the ultra builder approach and used all my energy on religion, culture, culture and Great People. Most of the wonders was lost right before I got them, almost all by my main competitor, the Indians. I didn't build much military, as I was lucky and got Hapsetut well into my side, Asuka of the Indians well towards me, and all the aggressive civs beyond my (or their) reach, and could therefore consentrate on my building.

It went well until the late Middle Ages, when Asuka went some 200-400 points above me. I started to specialize my few cities and managed to hold their pace for some time, but then I suddenly was surpassed by Caesar and one other civ and dumped to 4th place... I managed to get a kick-ass economy, pumping in 60-90 gold per turn, but I had no place to expand. I think I here should have built more cities inside my own land, but the thought of small civs being able to win and no ICS made me decide against it. Soon I realized that while I was getting cavalery, Asuka got space ship parts...! It was then I realized I was going to loose, but the game was so fun that I had no thought of quiting!

I further specialized my cities, closing the tech gap between me and Asuka somewhat, but I never managed to close it totally. For some reason though, Asuka stopped building the space ship, and instead used all his resources to counter attack the two civs to it's west that began attacking them(fools as they were, they were technologically inferior...). That made me able to close the gap somewhat in several fields, but then the most idiotic thing happened to me. Suddenly I realized that 3 of my 4 citites(I got one more city near the end, but it was insignificant) had lost from 40 to 90 % of their population! All those was on stagnant in growth, but for some reason I suddenly had begun loosing pops each turn as if I was in starvation. I went 12 turns back, obviously some time after the problems had begun(but I didn't want to go too far back, tired as I were by that time of sitting in front of the computer), but by de-specializing the cities, I managed to stop the tide after I had lost some 40-50% of my pops. Of course, this proved to be a disaster for my civ, but that's life I thought, and somewhat) happily began recontructing.

15 turns later the game ended on the time limit, and I came on a 4th place, getting the rating of Dan Quatayle(or however that name is spelled). Okay, it was the worst rating available, but I had massive amounts of fun, I wasn't extinct, and I had gotten an in my eyes okay standing for a first Noble level game on Civ4 ever. Tomorrow I and a friend who I has got interested in Civ4 is going to try MP trough Direct IP, wish us luck.

EDIT: Did some neccessary editing.
    Last edited by Nikolai; October 30, 2005, 17:07.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

I love reading player storys that are set up like these. I hate the ones that are more roleplaying style.

Sounds like you did better than me! I played my first two games on noble. Wow, wasn't that a mistake. Your lucky you lasted to the end, I lasted no more than 100 turns.

The last images of my game:
    1 city, my capitol
    surrounded by 15+ enemy units

I am now playing my games on the easiest level

Comment

Nikolai, do you ever check your PMs?
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yes, when I get a pop up saying I've got one. I'll check it right away!
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
        X