Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial

This morning I bought the game. First thing I did was playing the tutorial. It is really intended for people who never played Civ.

The advice to attack with a warrior (strength 2) lions (also strength 2) in the forest (50% defense bonus) did not sound really smart to me.

When the tutorial ends you can play on. It is playing on settler level. Seems the AI is almost totally passive, so I tried some wonders, unit upgrades and when decided to finish them off.

After lunch I started a real game, but I post in another thread about that.

It is really intended for people who never played Civ.

Hence the word 'tutorial'

Anyone who is famaliar with Civ can jump right in to a normal game.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Re: Tutorial

Originally posted by Tventano
      The advice to attack with a warrior (strength 2) lions (also strength 2) in the forest (50% defense bonus) did not sound really smart to me.
      Well that tut is on Settler level so I'm sure you get a bonus vs. barbs, which makes it not so dumb...

I too played the Tutorial today and from what I played, I can tell a big difference in aggression level of the AI between Settler level and Noble level.
      Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Settler is supposed to be a learning level for complete newbies - basically, the AI will let you play the game as you want. Plus, it has such horrible penalties that it's nearly incapacitated by them anyway.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Ofcourse Settler is for newbies, but the advice in the Tutorial should be useable at higher levels. Look at the number of complaints in various threads that animals are killing warriors. Probably that people just followed the advice from the tutorial.
          Much better strategy is: be sure to keep in the forest and come near the animals to attrackt them to attack you. And never move when you are not 100% health.

Comment

Parroting doesn't make you smarter, just better at remembering stuff.
            What the tutorial does do is force you to think for yourself and lo and behold..it works!!
            You've already out smarted the tutorial and Sid himself.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

I played the entire tutorial without a fight, except the lions. Now that I have an understanding of how empire growth works, I can start a game and actually attack someone.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

You lame arse you...!!

You just wanted to make sure to have at least one victory with Civ4, didn't you.

Comment

Working...
                X