The 1300 Years War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1300 Years War

(This is a story from like my second game i ever played. Warlord difficulty on the huge 18civ world map. I was Americans (Roosevelt, per the scenario's settings), renamed to Canada and my leader name was Emperor Curt. I'm really bored and I enjoy telling stories about wars I've had in games so I figured I'd post this)

North America, 450 AD: North America has been fairly uneventful. The Canadian and Aztec empires under Emperor Curt and Montezuma were fairly well established, or at least as well established you'd expect an empire to be in the year 450.

Canada was composed of ten cities: Ottawa on the east coast, the capital and oldest of the Canadian cities. To the west was the city of Toronto, the second oldest city. Further west was the city of Calgary, nestled in the rocky mountains. It was there mostly to cut off northern Aztec development, and to collect the resources in the rockies. Further west still was Vancouver, a very new city that stood in the mountains. North of Ottawa was the large city of Montreal, and in the far north of Quebec was Laval, a small, new city. In the north of the continent there were two Aztec cities, thanks to Emperor Curt accepting an offer of open borders in an attempt to stave off war when he realized he needed time to prepare.

Emperor Curt knew the war was coming a few turns before it happened. So, he desperately built a few archers.

The Canadian strategy was simple: A very defensive doctrine involving holing up in the cities while building up swordsmen for an eventual offensive once the Aztec offensive bogged down.

As expected, the Aztecs attempted a blitz composed mainly of jaguars and archers. The Aztecs made pushes at Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto, leaving the Canadians with Ottawa and Montreal fairly untouched and allowed to support the war effort.

Toronto and Calgary held fast. Calgary succeeded because of the high defense qualities of it's mountainous terrain. Toronto succeeded because being one of the largest cities in Canada before the war, it was able to prepare a little more before the war. A lot of Aztecs died in the initial offensives toward Toronto and Calgary. Vancouver wasn't so lucky.

Vancouver, being such a small and isolated city, just had an archer and an obsolete warrior to defend it. A small Aztec detachment took the city as soon as they reached it.

With the Aztec offensive bogged down, Curt developed the strategy for the rest of the war. He would turtle in the besieged cities, as well as having a few excess units fortified in defensible positions throughout the countryside. While these cities held out and slowly produced soldiers, Ottawa and Montreal would gather forces for an offensive to take the northern isolated Aztec cities. Once those cities were taken, Vancouver would be taken. Then a favourable peace could be made, with the end result being Canada gaining two cities and the Aztecs being put in their place. Laval was too small to contribute to the war effort, so it focused on growing. Laval was the one place in Canada that wasn't involved in the total war.

Eventually, a sizeable army of swordsmen, plus two catapults was raised. This army moved from montreal to the smaller of the two northern Aztec cities. A couple turns and the city was taken with light casualties. On to the bigger aztec city.

At the bigger aztec city, the war effort stalled a little. A terrible run of bad luck ensued. A lot of Canadian swordsmen and a couple catapults died taking that city. The longbowmen inside would always hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive. It was 1200 AD by the time this city fell. 750 years of warfare and all I had to show for it was losing a city and gaining two. It felt like World War 1.

With the last northern Aztec city in Canadian control, it was time to move on to Vancouver. There was a little complication on the way. An Aztec straggler that remained up north found its way to laval, which was relatively lightly defended. The Jaguar cut down the archer inside, and sacked the city. They didn't just capture the city, though, they burnt it to the ground. I was pissed. I don't get really pissed when people capture my cities, that's not a big deal because I can always take it back, but no matter how insignificant the city is, I get really pissed when people raze my cities.

So the goal of the war changed. I was going to go for a little more aztec punishment, I set my goal to include two more aztec cities. One was in northern Mexico, one was their capital, located in southern Mexico.

I took Vancouver easily, then I sent the army south. They formed up at the northern Mexican city. By now my army was mostly macemen and catapults. Despite being a big city that was fairly heavily defended, I managed to rip through it pretty quickly. This probably was because I now knew how to properly use catapults.

So, on to the capital. By now, every few turns I was refusing pretty generous peace offers. Peace + A big tech + all his gold (300ish).

The capital sucked. Lots of longbowmen, catapults, and jaguars. The jags weren't much of a problem, my macemen could tear through them. But the longbowmen... those guys in a defensive role would still be a pain.

To make a long bloody story short, I took the capital and took heavy casualties in the process. It was 1800 by the time the war was over. After taking the capital, peace was declared and I received a tech and all Monty'd gold (only 180ish at this point).

That war meant the death of any chances Canada had of being a world power, though. In 1850 I still didn't have a gunpowder army or any ocean-capable ships. This was basically thanks to having to put all production toward my land military for the last 1350 years, plus a millenium of having marauding jaguars completely rape my infrastructure.

What was supposed to be a quick war of withstanding the blitzkrieg and then securing a favourable peace eventually turned into a war that was nearly to the death.

I spent the rest of the game developing tech, and I wiped the Aztecs out of central and south america later on. I had infantry, tanks, and fighter planes in that war, and their top of the line were just the occasional rifleman.

The Aztecs finished the game as a shadow of their former selves. They had one city, on the falkland islands.

Wow that was lots of typing, but it occupied me for a while.

First, the hoorahs! Good job staying flexible through the war - you allowed your original goal of taking their two northern cities and Vancouver back to change - you didnt stick to it when circumstances change. Adaptability is key. Also, I liked why your goals changed - out of vengeance and anger! Excellent!

Now for the awwwws... If your war lasted that long (which I think is cool - long, protracted wars can be very fun when they're dynamic), you should contribute 100% to the war effort. Every city should start contributing, except for maybe 1, if you're working on a WW, for example. When at war, BE at war: that's the priority.
    Also, you mentioned when you were taking the capital your army consisted mostly of macemen and cats... engineering is worth the trebs. They have a bonus attacking cities that cats lack, and are better because of it. Rule of thumb: you can almost never have too many siege weapons also!

I don't mean to be critical, just trying to give an outsider's point of view.

Also... didja win?!

Comment

One suggestion first- perhaps split the story up into Chapters, like
      Entering the war
      Write something
      Continuing the war: Phase II
      Write something else.

To improve ease of readership.

So, on to the capital. By now, every few turns I was refusing pretty generous peace offers. Peace + A big tech + all his gold (300ish).

The capital sucked. Lots of longbowmen, catapults, and jaguars. The jags weren't much of a problem, my macemen could tear through them. But the longbowmen... those guys in a defensive role would still be a pain.

To make a long bloody story short, I took the capital and took heavy casualties in the process. It was 1800 by the time the war was over. After taking the capital, peace was declared and I received a tech and all Monty'd gold (only 180ish at this point).

That war meant the death of any chances Canada had of being a world power, though. In 1850 I still didn't have a gunpowder army or any ocean-capable ships. This was basically thanks to having to put all production toward my land military for the last 1350 years, plus a millenium of having marauding jaguars completely rape my infrastructure.
      Ahh... War truly does not pay- except for those who do not fight

Interesting game!

~DC.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Oh, I just realized, the initial post was from 2006... I somewhat doubt JelliMonster is still around.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Come back JelliMonster!!! I promise I won't put you on toast EVER AGAIN!
          First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
          Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Working...
          X