Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No oil and no aluminium makes Homer go something something..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No oil and no aluminium makes Homer go something something..

Right then, the scenario is as follows. Having gotten of to a bit of a slow start due to being boxed in I was forced to battle my way out during the swordsman/catapult era. This led to the demise of the english, the ever opportunistic Saladin taking his slice of the pie as well. Unofortunately this made me lag behind a little in tech and only recently have I been able to catch up.

But to what use I ask myself. As luck would have it I have no access to oil nor aluminium! You may also note that I never had access to horses until very recently, just in time to have my cavalry stampede over those enemy mechanized infantry...

However I'm a guy who likes a challenge and therefore have decided to try my hand on yet again battling my way to some glory. With units buildable without oil and aluminium, how the hell will I manage without any air support...

I will most likely fail but I'll try it, as a strategic experiment. I am not one of the stronger civs but using a military build up and blitzing my way through might give me a chance. The settings are pangea map, 10 civs, monarch difficulty, victory through space race and time disabled.

Oh Hatsheput, why do you deny me access to your treasures?

It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Things take a sudden and very unexpected twist! I had actually thought of attacking Egypt to get at what I needed, but when asking Hatsheput what she wanted for oil my part of the deal came up blank. Maybe this is a bug I thought but it turns out she was willing to give me oil for free. I shall sacrifice a hundred sheep in Ra's honour tonight.

It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

The arms race has begun in a serious fashion. Due to my resource shortage earlier I already have a strong reserve of grunts such as infantry, SAM infantry, artillery and a number of obsolete units that i'm keeping around because of their experience and as subjects for possible upgrading.

This will form a strong backbone of my army that is intended to keep my cities and land safe. Now i'm powering up on tanks and soon I will build an air force of jet fighters, no real need for a navy given the map specifications. My dearest friend Hatsheput has traded me aluminium in exchange for uranium as well, I just love her.

As luck would have it i'm playing as the germans and they have the Panzer, I have never tried it before but 50% against armored units should mean they are useful even against modern armor. Hopefully, soon the land will explode in blood and steel...

Comment

NOOOOO!! Why are you toying with me Hatsheput?
        Now what will I do, will I be forced to assault you for your treacherous ways...

Comment

Time to gamble everything then... Nobodys willing to trade me oil so I'll have to try and take it. Egypt is my target since the neighbouring arabs are just to strong, my hope is to take these two southern cities and then broke for peace. My worry is getting my infrastructure blasted back to the stoneage by air raids and keeping my cities on the border. Hatsheput also has a defensive pact with Mansa Musa so I must try to acheive my objectives quickly...

Comment

My defenses seem to be coping so far, Mansa Musa has come at my northern city of York. But not in enough numbers to take it, yet. I have changed civic to police state to manage the war better.

Well ok, about two turns York lasted. Sacked by the combined forces of Mali and Egypt. They continue to push forward, pillaging all in their way. I must concentrate on keeping my cities and seizing those two egypt cities below me.... Not looking to bright at the moment.

Comment

The moral of the story: Always seize desert tiles early.

And just like real life, never depend on Egypt for commodities.
              Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

So, how is the campaign going, FM? Did you get what you wanted? Or did you succumb to the combined pressure from the treacherous Egyptians and the evil Malinese?
                XBox Live: VovanSim
                xbox.com (login required)
                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                Spore page

Comment

What do you mean with seizing desert tiles is a good tactic desert tiles are useless.

Comment

Originally posted by AL_DA_GREAT
                    What do you mean with seizing desert tiles is a good tactic desert tiles are useless.
                    That is what I was thinking, unless he is being sarcastic. Maybe you grab dessert tiles, and when he overtakes the city it will be usless to him.

Comment

Desert tiles and jungle tiles have a good chance of getting oil on them later on when you discover the appropriate tech

Comment

Yes Oil spawns in desert and tundra 85% of the time. the other 15% is those watery spots you have to wait til plastics to siphon.

So desert is NOT useless.
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Originally posted by Yolky

That is what I was thinking, unless he is being sarcastic. Maybe you grab dessert tiles, and when he overtakes the city it will be usless to him.
                          Wrong.

Originally posted by Hauptman

Yes Oil spawns in desert and tundra 85% of the time. the other 15% is those watery spots you have to wait til plastics to siphon.

So desert is NOT useless.
                          Right.
                          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Working...
                          X