First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Impressions

First off, the disks are mislabeled. Disk 1 says install, Disk 2 says play - but other than just to install the game, I haven't needed disk 2.

That, and a sound issue (skipping sounds in wonder/game-win videos) are the absolute only technical problems I have had.

So, on to the good stuff!

First, I will say, I did not read the manual. All the other Civ games let you jump in and figure it out as you go along. Civ 4 is no different, though there are a few things that could be made easier. Anyway!

My first game was as the French. I noticed in the leader selection/game set-up screen that there aren't any tooltips, which is not that big a deal, but it made it a little tricky to figure out what my leader's traits were. I played on Settler level in order to figure out what was going on.

Start off, and - wow - this definitely doesn't look like Civ 3. I have my settler build a city, and start exploring with my warrior.

First, I like the tooltips over the terrain - I know at a glance exactly what is going on there, and what I get out of it.

I set my tech to study whatever it is that'll give me buddhism... But someone beat me to it. A fact I barely realized, because it seems that those kinds of announcements are in a little scroll box to the side - except I can't seem to scroll. An option to make things like that - the religion you're trying to found gets taken from you, or a wonder - you wanna know.

Anyway, I eventually start figuring stuff out. The unit movement commands are a little funky - I was used to being able to just drag on a unit (left-click-drag) to get it to GoTo - but now I have to right click.

At about 30 minutes into the game, I'm making sense of things, but I do have to admit that there's rather a lot going on on the screen. So I'm missing lots of information that might be nice.

About an hour into the game, and wonders that I was trying to build are not getting built - lo and behold, I was beaten to them, but there was no notification other than that thing on the left, which was kind of annoying, as I didn't see it and it is very easy to miss. (Note to Firaxis interface guy: MAKE THINGS LIKE THAT INTO POPUP BOXES ! And then let people turn those off if they like)

About 2 hours into the game, and my French culture is assimilating my neighbors like the borg. I had 5 French cities, and about 9 foriegn cities who decided they liked my cooking.

About 3 hours in, I am the undisputed leader of the pack - I've got tanks, I've got nukes, and I've enough minor allies that being elected leader of the UN is a walk. Not enough to get a diplomatic win, however.

About 3 hours and 30 minutes in, I discover that I am about 3 turns from being able to force a win on the space race, UN and culture. So I save the game and win each way once. The only downside was that the music skipped for those videos (and the wonder ones) (using integrated sound)

So, the first impressions:

Good:
    The visuals are great. I love being able to zoom in and out easily, get a closer inspection - neat when I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at. I wouldn't mind a bit more variety and variation - most of the terrain is semi-bland (pretty, but bland nonetheless)

The ambiance is lovely. Leonard Nimoy rocks, though I wouldn't have minded some variety. Sounds are incredible, music is as always wonderful. Only problem I had was with wonder movies and end-game movies with skipping sound.

The gameplay is a little tricky at first, but I got into it. Some things are a little flaky - movement stuff, for example.

The resource model is pretty funny - I had nukes, for example, but I didn't have any copper.

I liked the health thing, and never once had too big a problem managing it.

I didn't get a chance to go to war - every darn time I tried to start a war, the opposing civ would make nice and give me stuff. The only time I think I could have had a fight on my hands was with the Egyptians (my "closest" rival at about 1/3rd my size)

The Bad:
    That list of stuff on the left! Argh! Let me scroll through it, and please, PLEASE let me have a way to make wonder race losses and religion founding losses into popups! Really - while usually I don't like lots of windows, I would accept them here.

Some things are not intuitive - I couldn't figure out how to automate what my city builds, or make a queue - I will read the manual on those, but really, something basic like that should be obviously labeled.

The not-sure-yet:
    So far, this *seems* to be a gorgeous game that is working well, and hints at challenging yet fun gameplay. It *seems* like the micromanaging of workers etc is done. I say *seems* because I just haven't played it enough (a situation that'll be rectified after posting this )

One thing that I think I would really like is the ability to have civil wars happen by a set of rules - as in, my cities are really unhealthy, and half of them threaten to split off if I don't switch to ecology or whatever.

Another thing I would like is the ability to have client/puppet states. For example, in this game, I *completely* dominated the indians - culturally, to a point where they had 1 city, and I had all of their other ones. I would like an option (and imagine it could be modded) where I turn them into a puppet/proxy to do stuff.

Anyway, back to conquering the world! Next up: Japanese and WAR!

i just started. . . but it looks so. . . different. i just dunno, ya know?
    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Ok, I just played the intro video. It's been a long time since a game gave me goosebumps. This is one of those. I'm off to play a single player game.

I have a few graphics artifacts, but I know for a fact those are my poor video card. I won't even try to blame Firaxis for them.

The sound skipped on the intro video, and I am using integrated sound. Not a big deal.
      -------------------------------------------
      There is no teacher but the enemy.

Comment

Anyway, I eventually start figuring stuff out. The unit movement commands are a little funky - I was used to being able to just drag on a unit (left-click-drag) to get it to GoTo - but now I have to right click.

Can be set to Civ3 style in the options menu.

I noticed in the leader selection/game set-up screen that there aren't any tooltips,

There should be. IIRC they don't up on the big image but do on the littles ones on the right hand site.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Re: First Impressions

Originally posted by thesandtiger
          That list of stuff on the left! Argh! Let me scroll through it, and please, PLEASE let me have a way to make wonder race losses and religion founding losses into popups! Really - while usually I don't like lots of windows, I would accept them here.
          Not exactly what you are asking for, but the Event Log (Ctrl-Tab, or the little pencil/book icon in the upper left)will let you scroll through things that happen in the text notification area.

Comment

*Notes the CTRL-TAB thingy.*

Frequen' neat! I'm glad they included that!

I'm in severe danger of losing a lot of sleep tonight.
            -------------------------------------------
            There is no teacher but the enemy.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - very useful information!

Comment

The Gamespot review mentions that Nimoy narrates the beginning of the game... is it the same text that accompanied a new game of the original Civ? If so... wow.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Hmmmmm

First time out...seemed to be an easy victory.

From what I recall, playing the lowest level in civ3 did cause some problems for players, so lets see how you do on a harder level.

A game in 3 1/2 hours???...I actually like that type of option for a player.
                  Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                  ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Well, Settler level *is* really easy, anyone who's played Civ before shouldn't have too much trouble with it. Deity OTOH
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

thesandtiger: my observation - I minimized the interface and found that the notices on the left-hand side of the screen were very obvious. Minimizing the interface (Ctrl-I) may help you somewhat. I didn't like the default interface; too cluttered and too distracting.

You can even remove the interface (Alt-I), but this disables the mouse-over info and is a little too sparse on info, IMO.

Comment

Okay, just got done playing another game - this time on Noble level as Ghandi/India. The "speed" was set to quick - I wanted to check that out.

The main difference I saw was in the barbarians - these guys were *everywhere* - I must have lost 2-3 fledgling cities to them.

However, I managed to survive, mainly by luck - I got about 5 settlers from goodie huts, thanks to my scouts!

While ICS does seem to be dead (or, at least not nearly as important) I did emphasize building up. I switched between building something like a scout/warrior/building and a settler/worker every other time, and this worked well.

I managed to found *all* of the religions, which kind of surprised me. Turns out the AIs got stuck in a few wars, which gave me a chance to shoot ahead, tech-wise.

Until, of course, it seems like they just ganged up on me - one of those "blocs" I guess. Anyway, in the space of about 10 years they seemed to go homogeneous - everyone had all the same tech, and they were making demands of me.

The end-game wound up being me, with Marines, going against their Cavalry (and, towards the end, their infantry). I managed to take out 2 of them (there were 9 AI civs) but the remaining 7 were starting to come on strong, and were seeming like they'd take over the newly conquered cities.

I managed to pull out a culture win - founding all those religions sure helped - and then did the "just ... one... more... turn" option. Except it was a lot more turns. Got a great person, rush-built the manhattan project and... discovered that everyone else had nukes, too

So we lobbed nukes for awhile. As the game stands now, about 1/4th of my cities are radioactive, but about 3/4ths of the AI civs cities are craters, and I have just gotten tanks. Unfortunately, the AI has them too, and even more unfortunately, they still have more functional cities overall than I do. So, it will come down, I think, to how well I can use my current unit quantity superiority - good thing I have some promotions for my guys - ambush promotions will be key here! Also, I *might* be able to cut off their supplies of oil, which means no tanks for them.

Anyway - I haven't been this engrossed in Civ since ... well, probably the first time I launched Civ 1, way back when. (And yeah, it gave me chills hearing Nimoy say "In the beginning, the Earth was without form... And void.")

Comment

hehe ..I'm tried to play it on my fathers computer which should be just as good or better than mine....at least it is fairly modern...better what most schools get...

If I was playing CivIV I wouldnt be typing this right now..I am fairly sure that it will run on my comp but my folks have a higher end comp then what most peope have...and I get eyeballs and teeth..for the civpedia leaders and crashes if I try to play the game

I first played civ at school on whatever public education could afford....

"Thanks, Jeff and Sid. I hope CivIV will inspire another ten-year-old out there somewhere who likes to dream big. Real Big." -Soren Johnson

Well I do to but unless they go to some yuppie private school this game isnt going to play for them...
                          Lincoln's Gettysburg address has 226 words, The Ten commandments has 296 words. The US dept. of agriculture's order setting the price of cabbage has 15,269 words

Comment

to make a queue, just go backwards, you will see the queue in the lower left hand just above (or below i forget) where it shows what you are currently building.

For instance if I want to make warrior, then archer, then barracks, first click on barracks, then click on archer, then click on warrior (while in City screen). You will notice the list it creates on the left bottom!

(caveat: i haven't queued up more than two, so not sure you can do more, but don't see why you couldn't...)

Comment

Working...
                            X