No announcement yet.

Post negative points of Civilization 4 here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can we get a scrollable menu of city name options instead of the default city name over and over until we pick it...

can the player name default be the civ leaders name and not some serial number the game is picking off my hard drive ?

can we pick our color ? Jeez this is a request from several sivs ago....
    Lincoln's Gettysburg address has 226 words, The Ten commandments has 296 words. The US dept. of agriculture's order setting the price of cabbage has 15,269 words

Comment

The game was realeased with a huge slowdown bug that makes it almost unplayable in the mid to late portion .

Comment

My Qualms about Civ4:

Forgive me if some of these were previously mentioned.

1) If ever city in your empire is say ... Buddist and your a Theocracy, then theorhetically a Colony should have your state religion, not none. Last time I checked the were subjects of my Empire who moved, Not some vagrant tribesmen we recruited to do my bidding.

2) The Age of Discovery is over far too quickly. Before you can set up like 3 colonies, you have already entered the industrial era.

3) The Industrial Era is over far to quickly, and all the graphics are from the end of the Industrial "Era". Why do factories only come into with Great War Infantry? Shouldn't Factories come in with Steam Power not Assembly Line?

4) There is no chance in building a colonial empire on anything but Terra and Earth Maps. This is dispointing. By the time you develop Caravels there is no land left to settle.

5) Units cost too much. Especially settlers.

6) The UN could have had a much better interface.

Comment

My biggest beef would probably be the civilopedia. It's a step down from III.
          Nimoy's narration can be pretty flat (esp. the sputnik beeps!).
          The event notifications can go by pretty fast when there's a lot going on. "Hey! What did that say?!"
          I'm glad to see the spy back, but she needs a little boost somehow.
          The explorer unit shows up too late in the game for me (no change from other civs here). By that stage I'm done checking out my continent and have moved on to exploring the seas with ships. The explorer should give the ships he is in a movement bonus.
          Wonder movies are not exactly inspiring. Not really a big deal though.
          These things are pretty minor - I'm lovin on the overall gameplay.
          I could make a bigger list of the things I like.

Comment

Re: civ 4 - BUG TO REPORT - Movies are choppy

Originally posted by Zayxus
            Movies are choppy.

Sound cuts out during Wonder movies
            an during loading intro movie.
            You too, huh? And you have a 128 mb video card. I only have a 64 mb card and thought it was from that.
            Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              So far seems a mixed bag.
              Keep in mind that those with significant problems will be more vociferous than those without.

I'm finding it an amazingly fun and addictive experience, and I'm not encountering the technical problems most describe here.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Strange starting location of rivals. Near to my second city I found Spain and Egypt, blocked my expansion. I started war and when I took Madrid, I found that on east of these contries pretty much free space. Of course civ4 have another strategies, and early expansion is not easy. But in this case early expansion is only way to avoid such collision.

Comment

My biggest complaints are the Civilopedia (it needs to be hotlinked everywhere or at least internally like in Civ3) and the rather small icons to select to do a build order. I would much prefer a list.

In multiplayer using simultaneous turns, the stupid diplomacy and build questioning screens will pop up and make me miss combat that happens. It would be better to have in auto zoom on any combat and come back to whichever screen it wanted to show you after that.

And if you do hot seat style play, it has the same problem as civ3 where the first player doesn't get to see any combat where an AI attacked him.
                  Jacob's Law "To err is human: to blame it on someone else is even more human."

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    Indeed, nothing in dessert or mountains for that matter.
                    There's another thread on this, desert with adjacent water does produce.
                    You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

Originally posted by sunround
                      Strange starting location of rivals.
                      I started on a highlands map where dense peak-mountain ridgelines channel much of the map. One of the AI's (Cyrus) is completely pinned in by ridgelines, except if he goes through me. Every two or so turns, he asks me for "open borders." I say no, which is safe because the dummy adopted my founded religion and we've had 2000 years of peace, he is always "pleased" at my response, though he won't trade techs or anything of substance with me. I can see in all his cities because of the shared religion and he builds little military that might be termed aggressive. I'll probably say "no" to open borders for 2000 more years also, effectively negating him. This was admittedly on a low difficulty level, but is still hilarious. I feel like a WWA wrestler with the civ pinned with my foot in his face and him saying, "Thank You Sir, may I have another??"
                      You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

My biggest disappointment so far has been the lack of a printed manual in the Canadian edition of the game. For a game like Civ, a pdf manual in place of a real manual feels a lot like being flipped off.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGone
                          My biggest disappointment so far has been the lack of a printed manual in the Canadian edition of the game. For a game like Civ, a pdf manual in place of a real manual feels a lot like being flipped off.
                          Jesus, that is unacceptable

Comment

-Civilopedia is incomplete and doesn't have enough links.

-There is random lag in sounds during movies (ie. few-second break in sounds in the middle of a movie) -- this hurts the w00tlyness factor of them.

Hmm. Nope, can't think of anything else at the moment.

Comment

My first game

- In Civ3 I loved to click on an icon or words and go directly in the civilopedia. Badly it's not in Civ4.

- When I played Civ3, I was constantly looking at my advisors. I study Economics at University so I love to see graphics, numbers and information. The advisors was more... interesting in Civ3.

- When playing civ3, it was like playing a complex chess game, and I loved this feeling. I've got a mixed feeling about this in Civ4. It like if I was playing Rise of Nation....

- It's only my first game but... I feel it's less Epic! Like I said before, I feel like playing a Real Time Strategy.

- Some serious and minor lag issue, I'm pretty sure in some patchs it will be fixed. I really dont think it's normal to be that choppy. I know people will say "buy more memory", I play on a laptop and memory cost more money and I dont have the money(I'm a student and I dont leave with my folks).

So I think it's all for now. Only 10 hours of playing... and so far my overall feeling is I want to replay another game... That's good!

See ya,
                              bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgang76
                                Hopefully this wont get lost in all the "this sucks/bites" but my only REAL complaint so far is some of the missing features.

Now, not everyone enjoyed the Throne/Pallace and the ship views but I actually did.

I could visually look at how the ship was coming along and see how i was doing.

As for the Pallace or Throne room, I miss that as it was one more layer to try and achieve in the game that I always liked.
                                So true. I hope that palace will be back in expansion.

Other than that, game seems to be fine.
                                Knowledge is Power

Comment

Working...
                                X