Next AU course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next AU course

I propose the next AU course be something like the power of corporations, to explore that major new feature in Beyond the Sword.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

I like that idea.

Comment

If I may suggest a "Just win" game, maybe on a watery map.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
        If I may suggest a "Just win" game, maybe on a watery map.
        Now I wonder why Blake suggested that!
        "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

No idea; may be he knows "corporations" in itself cannot make a
          game.

Best regards,

Comment

Well then - forget corporations - but he may know just how good the new AI is on watery worlds. Then maybe not.

Comment

Playing Corporation centric doesn't exclude any mode of winning any more than the religious centric one earlier.

Some may try to found as many corporations as possible [breath], others might concentrate on one or two and spread them everywhere (depth), still others might decide to not found any themselves, but try to conquer the various corporation headquarters that the AI constructs.

Mostly though the DARs would mention how they used corporations and how it helped them win.

Also the most recent course was water based.
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I think what Blake is trying to suggest is :- play a normal game but on a water world. This way you will see how the AI has changed since Warlords and also how the naval aspect has changed.

Once you have this understanding of the changes to the basic gameplay in the first BTS-AU. Then you can explore the other gameplay changes, such as corporations, espionage etc.

Comment

Exactly .

The map I would suggest is Big and Small, with the "Islands mixed in" setting. It's an interesting hybrid map.

Comment

Hello all!

In that I am coming back to playing, I'd like to request that the first BTS course be a bit on the general side... I like Blake's recommendation, but perhaps with *something* more than just "basic gameplay."

Corporations seems somewhat advanced, and later in the game.

What are the top two or three general strategies for the early game? Is there some objective that could particularly demonstrate success in one or more of those strategies (other than just eventually winning, of course)?

Alternatively, is there any specific core aspect of the game that has been changed so significantly that it needs familiarization? Naval and its consequences, perhaps? Espionage? Or would that level of examination be better done in a later course?

I'm considering myself a noob... what would best serve a new player, albeit experienced in the overall genre?
                    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                      Alternatively, is there any specific core aspect of the game that has been changed so significantly that it needs familiarization? Naval and its consequences, perhaps? Espionage? Or would that level of examination be better done in a later course?
                      Well, Blake has mentioned the naval aspect, and it seems to be something you wouldn't want to turn your back on anymore...

Comment

BIg and Small or Hemisphers would be a good map. Just need to make sure that all of the civs are not on one continent.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

The standard BTS AI doesn't appear all that different to me than Blake's AI for Warlords so far in the game I'm playing. but I might have to see if Blake has an improved version for BTS. (And since this is the Gods of Old mod on a pengena it really doesn't showcase navies at all.)

Big & Small and Hemisphers are indeed new map types that would be more subtle. I would guess that Big & Small would be somewhat like a cross between Conteniants and New World and that Hemispheres is an almost prefectly balanced contients.

As to early srategies here's some I see:

1. Semi-OCC where one intially concentrates on making a very good capital city usually including Stone Hedge before building any settlers.

2. REX. (Placing as many cities down as possible to claim land peacefully; even starting the first settler when the capital is still only size 2.)

3. Multi shrine city. (Try to found 2 or more religions in the same city; usually either the capital or the first non-capital city founded) A more extreme version of this tries to get all the religions. This can be combined with #1 above. This works better for Spirtual civs starting with Mystism.

4. Activiting resources (Try to research all the basic techs that allow improvements of those resources near you as fast as possible.)

5. Axeman rush (or more commonly Axeman replacement UU) rush to connect the Copper, upgrade any warriors to axes (or your UU) and build a few more to take out an opponent or two.

6. Chariot replacement rush. Requires horses nearby and favorable terraign.

7. Goody Hut collection. Build several scouts to go exploring. Works best for civs that already start with a Scout.

8. Roman rush. Some basic development, plant a couple of cities that take in Iron, and then switch to your enhanced Swords and go conquer an opponent or two. This can also be used, but not quite as effectively by anyone with normal swords or else by a Sumerian player who did not have Cooper near by but did have Iron.
                          Templar Science Minister

Comment

I play Big and Small almost religiously, by far my favorite map type. It's not so much a "continents and new world" type map as it is a "realistic map" like the description makes. You end up with people on island chains that meld in with the major continents. In most games usually 2-3 entities end up entirely naval-oriented with small islands their home.

It's great for a good mixup type map that requires you to do a little bit of everything.

It's also a lot harder.

Me.

Comment

sigh. i need a few courses. I cant seem to get my games going properly these days. (it might be that I get bored halfway and quit). but my strategy just isnt working anymore.
                              Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Working...
                              X