No announcement yet.

AU 202 - No Civ Is An Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not yet, but im playing it off and on not straight through... im currently still in the classical age, but if it happens i will definately try to fix it with the save game editor link you posted. thanks!
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

It might be useful to see the starting position. From reading the other thread you get thrown straight into "spoiler" territory so you cannot just look at the start and see what to do with it. Maybe also a "settings" screen to give a better idea of the map type

Personally, I'm not sure now if I know too much to play this scenario.

Comment

couerdelion, the starting position can be seen in this thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=163740

You are right, though, and I should repost it in this thread as well.
        I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Sorry, I missed that.

A most generous starting location. Lots of goodies and so many choices though happiness looks to be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
            Um... did I screw something up, or was there a turn limit that no one mentioned?

Around 1000AD, the game ended due to turns on marathon.

Anyone else with this? I'd like to continue, but I didn't get to the Renaissance before the game ended...
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I’ve quite surprised myself with how interesting I am finding this set up. Most unlike anything I have played before although I am using a different map which gave my capital a coastal start with NINE lake squares.

Some wonders are almost obsolete (Great Wall) while other acquire huge significance. Circumnavigation with workboats/triremes while rival AI’s can be sitting in isolation from each other well into the classical age. Getting double speed triremes and galleys will be a big bonus.

Also not forgetting the “token” war or the raiding. You have little here to fear from lost trade in the early game so picking on the odd rival here and there is childs play. And all you really want to do is to raid and pillage. Steal a worker and then send them back on the boats where they can be put to work. Or maybe just lie in wait for a loaded galley to come by and use them as target practices for your “hunter” triremes.

And of course some stupid AI will always want to found its first three cities in the furthest flung corners of the world – maybe planning on back-filling later.

Comment

Some wonders are almost obsolete (Great Wall) while other acquire huge significance. Circumnavigation with workboats/triremes while rival AI’s can be sitting in isolation from each other well into the classical age. Getting double speed triremes and galleys will be a big bonus.

Also not forgetting the “token” war or the raiding. You have little here to fear from lost trade in the early game so picking on the odd rival here and there is childs play. And all you really want to do is to raid and pillage. Steal a worker and then send them back on the boats where they can be put to work. Or maybe just lie in wait for a loaded galley to come by and use them as target practices for your “hunter” triremes.
                Well, learning things like that is the goal of this course, so I'm glad to hear it's working! There should be plenty of interesting analysis when people have wrapped this one up, I'd say.

Comment

Not to get into spoilers here; but it appears the AI doesn't really understand how to defend itself from Berserkers. And it doesn't quite get that ships in port with inadequate land defenders in time of peace is a really bad idea.
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I'd love to get home and try this out. if our damned internet is working as it should...
                    Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Looks interesting. Kind of reminds me of a GOTM game. Is there a time limit to this, or is it primarily just a way for us to learn from each other? I read the AU FAQ, but wasn't exactly clear on certain aspects.
                      Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

Methos,

There is no time limit, though we generally try to run a course every month-and-a-half or so. They are not competative, and the idea is that people learn from each other, as well as analyze the game itself to look for ways for improvement. For instance, I will soon put up a discussion thread asking some key questions to people who have finished this month's course to discuss, so that everyone can put forth their thoughts.

Comment

Epic has the same problem that Marathon has in terms of time limit. If you have a look at the victory condition screen for marathon it tells you that the game will finish in 1850.

My guess as to why this is happening is that the scenario has a certain number of turns (the number from the standard speed) but this number isn't changing when you pick a different speed.

Comment

I will look into this problem some more to see if there is a quick way to remedy it. If all else fails, I can always create different scenario files for future courses at each of the speed levels.

Comment

i have lost this scenerio... i cannot beat prince level... i have fully realized this now...

* AAHZ hangs head in shame...
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I just won this scenerio, [on Noble w Blake's mod] : Via spaceship. At the very end it looked like I was about to have to sack London from Liz building the UN there (& her obvious attempt at going for cultural victory) but it was preempted by my lauch of the spaceship. I'll post the entries as soon as I get someplace that allows me to upload files; the firewall around the libary's wi-fi seems to prevent uploading of files on all sites.
                                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                                Templar Science Minister
                                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                                X