Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AU101 - DAR1: 4000BC to Islam (the era of religious foundings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU101 - DAR1: 4000BC to Islam (the era of religious foundings)

I'm choosing the point at which the 7th religion was founded as the basis for this DAR. Not sure if others will want to post here or create their own threads.

Difficult Level: Prince.

Initial Strategy: My initial goal is to found as many of the early religions as possible. Starting on a flood plain with a civ that has Mysticism as a starting religion, it seems I have a pretty good chance of hitting all three. My initial strategy is to have all citizens work flood plains to maximize commerce/research for as long as is feasible while I focus on religious centric research for as long as I can get away with. How long I can maintain that is going to depend on my neighbors and what the rest of the terrain reveals...

4000 BC: found Madrid on the initial starting spot and immediately focus on Medition and work the flood plains for reasons already mentioned. Also: start work on a warrior. Didn't see much point in going for a worker or settler. Either one of those would slow Madrid's growth and I want to get as many citizens as I can working those flood plains around Madrid as quickly as possible to increase my chances of getting both Meditation and Polytheism first. Also send my warrior up to the north east to see what is down the river.

3680 BC: founded Buddhism in Madrid. begin working on Polytheism. In the meantime, my exploring warrior found more flood plains to the north east. Decide my second city is going to go up there to get even more commerce benefits to aid research. But I haven't started the settler yet. Also: my first hut popped a technology, and that technology was Masonry!!!! That will greatly simplify the question of whether I'll be able to afford to spend time on Monotheism immediately after finishing Polytheism... :-)

3280 BC: founded Hinduism in Madrid. Start working on Monotheism. Don't recall exactly when the city expanded, but it surely did at this point at least once, if not twice. Meanwhile, my initial warrior was exploring around east of Madrid.

Not sure when the second warrior finished building. With all the citizens working flood plains, it did take a little while. I think it occurred after Hinduism. When that warrior did finish, the city was already a quarter of it's way to size 3. At that point, I switched to working on a Settler.

2800 BC: founded Judaism in Madrid. Start working on Priesthood. I don't expect that I'll go all the way to Confucianism before researching a little BW and some worker techs, but I want to at least get priesthood quickly so I can make a play for the Oracle from Madrid. Also: at 2800BC, my first settler was 1 turn away from completion. When he finishes, I move him up (taking Madrid's warrior with him) to the floodplains to the NE. Start Madrid on another warrior, but switch from warrior to Oracle as soon as priesthood finishes....

2560 BC: founded Barcelona. as with Madrid, put the citizens working on flood plains for commerce/research. Also, get working on another warrior. Since I don't have any worker related techs yet, I figure a few extra warriors will do me a lot more good than workers will, while I let these initial cities grow. Also, don't know yet if I've got any agressive neighbors yet. Have onl y seen Germany so far...

Now, I didn't take careful notes between 2560 BC, and the completion of the Oracle. I do know that I researched techs in this order after Priesthood: Writing, Mining, Bronzeworking, Code of Laws. Also, after Barcelona finished it's first warrior, I got it working on worker. The first thing the worker did was develop the marble near Barcelona. Though, since I hadn't researched roads I wasn't able to use that marble to speed up the Oracle. No matter, I had a healthy head start on the Oracle anyway. The worker went down to Madrid after that to build a mine. Meanwhile, my exploring warrior mapped out the peninsula to the north of Madrid, and explored west far enough to see the Incense off that direction. Also: Barcelona got started on a Settler when it was done with its worker.

1360 BC: Madrid completes the Oracle. Use the oracle to get Theology for free. Christianity founded in Barcelona. Now I haven't chosen a state religion yet because I was waiting to see which ones would spread to the German's first. Well, then the christian missionary spawned in Barcelona, I decided to remedy that. I negotiated an open borders arrangement with the Germans and send the missionary to Germany. Couple turns later the Germans switched to Christianity and I followed suit. :-)

950 BC: Barcelona founds Confucianism. After code of laws, I go back and finally fill in some worker improvements: wheel, and pottery. Figure it is about time I hook that marble up with the rest of the empire and more importantly, If I want to keep my edge on research I need to get started on those cottages ASAP. After pottery, I went back to the religous focus and started working on Philosophy.

875 BC: Build third city (Seville) on top of the Copper deposit NW of Madrid. While I was working on Confucianism, Barbarians were starting to become a problem. In the south east and south west. Didn't want any pillaging, and didn't want to waste time moving my worker over to Seville before working on Axeman. Seville immediately gets started on two axeman. Those two axeman ended up being my primary barbarian defense for quite a long while...

25 AD: Build my fourth city (Cordoba), SE of Madrid.

75 AD: Cordoba founds Taoism. After doing taoism, next on my research agenda is Ironworking, Monarchy, Divine Right.

700 AD: Madrid builds the Parthenon, and Barcelona builds the Sistine Chapel. Also, leading up to this point, I've build additional workers and axeman. All my cities have at least one temple, and Madrid has three temples and three monastaries (I know a cracked the whip a couple of times whenever a city got close to unhappiness). Also, at some point I used one Prophet to build the church of the nativity. The workers have connected the cities, and have built cottages (most of which are now villages or better) on almost all of the flood plain tiles. Note, that I still don't have agriculture or animal husbandry, so I haven't developed those tiles yet even though I have quite a few of them. Isabella's expansive trait is powerful enough that I don't really have any need to develop those tiles yet...

920 AD: Seville founds Islam. Next on the research agenda is Alphabet, so I can hopefully do some trading with Germany to back fill all the holes in my research agenda.

One other detail: somewhere during all that Hinduism spread on it's own so deep into German territory that the Germans abandoned Christianity for Hinduism. Not sure when that happenned, but when I noticed it, I switched to Hinduism also. As of 940 AD, I have mapped my continent thoroughly, but haven't encountered any civs other than Germany. Also, I still don't have a single port city yet, though as I'll show with my next DAR, a port city is next on the agenda....

Here is a picture of my budding Religous Empire after the founding of Islam in 920 AD.

I'll add another DAR to cover the ages that followed the age of religious foundations at a later date.
    Last edited by jdchambe; July 25, 2006, 04:29.
    In a minute there is time
    For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
    - T. S. Eliot

The empire at 940 AD:
    Attached Files
    - T. S. Eliot

Comment

The save game file at 940 AD
      Attached Files
      - T. S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
      X