Scoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoring

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere... has anyone else had this issue?

I've had many games where I am the first civ in terms of score, and I assumed this meant that I was the most powerful civ since sliced bread.... Much to my disappointment, when the list of the World's Most Powerful Nations is compiled, I'm like 4th or 5th (Large map)!! This basically means I'm a mediocre civ.... what's up with that?? I like to have a way to benchmark my performance among the world's civs. Civ 3 had a way to track this by having graphs of Culture, Power, and Score. Leading in one area did not necessarily mean leading in the others. Is there a similar way to gauge one's performance in Civ 4?
    "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

F9, I believe.
    "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

"Power" in the case of the historian popup is the same thing as "Soldiers" in the demographics.

Comment

I see... so Power is solely the number of units you have? It doesn't factor in your economy or ability to produce units? Does it factor in the overall experience your troops have?
        "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

I might note for future reference that this kind of thread really doesn't belong in the AU forum. It would probably fit best in Civ4-General, since it's a game mechanics question rather than a strategy question. I'm not upset or anything; just trying to channel different types of posts to where they are most appropriate.

Comment

If you mouse-over your score listing above the minimap, you will see how your score is compiled. I don't remember there being much (or any?) emphasis on "power"; most is on techs and population, IIRC.

Comment

I haven't looked into what goes into the Soldiers demographic. I'd guess it would be number of units, their str and promotions (or XP), but just how that fits together I don't know.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that your score has nothing to do with your military. I've had many games, like I said above, where I was number one in terms of score. Then when that random popup comes along and lists out the top 10 most powerful civs, I'm finding myself half way down the list.

Comment

Click the chart icon in the upper right of the main game screen or press F9 to bring up the information page. Click the demographics tab on the bottom and you'll see a chart taking up the left half of the page. On the top of that chart are two menu buttons. The left one allows you to select power and compare your power to other civilizations. I don't know how power is calculated yet though.
                  Last edited by Hombre; November 23, 2005, 22:42.

Comment

Yes, it's definitely under the F9 menu... and I'm always in last place... I don't get that... if I'm playing Large map with 9 civs and I'm in 9th place...

I've definitely defeated other civs in this position, which shows how relative the rating is, but I wonder how accurate this gauge really is.

Comment

Build more units, and you'll go up. It is military power.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Score is predominantly population driven, then land.

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
                          Build more units, and you'll go up. It is military power.
                          I understand this point, but what I'm saying is that I can build up a hugely military and it seems like my rating in this category doesn't rise much.

I've also kicked ass on civs who supposedly had higher power ratings than I did.

One thing I must say that I miss is the Civ 3 military adviser. The new military screen doesn't seem as useful to me. In Civ 3, your advisor would tell you in straightforward terms, your military is too weak compared to this civ or much more powerful.

Comment

Well, as with Civ3 there are rating difficulties. All you have to do is look at the numbers, and if yours is bigger your military is 'more powerful'. The problem is (again) that later units don't seem from what I've seen so far to score highly enough.

Comment

That's what it's looking like. These numbers don't seem to be adjusted for a more effective military (i.e. more promotions/higher tech).

Comment

Working...
                              X