Map type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map type

So? Now what kind of map are we going to play it on?

(Again, I'm not trying to claim jump here, but we need to get some forward momentum going.)
    Pangea
    9.43%
    Continents
    64.15%
    Archipelago
    1.89%
    Terra
    11.32%
    Lakes
    0.00%
    Highland
    1.89%
    Great Plains
    0.00%
    I want to play on a banana-shaped world.
    11.32%
    Friedrich Psitalon
    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Voted Continents, but Terra is almost the same thing, right? If it's a tie breaker, put my vote in whichever one will break the tie.
    "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Continents. Terra maps are larger than the corresponding size Continents map (ie Standard terra > Standard Continents)
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Continents.

Keep the setup as standard as possible.
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Continents. Terra intrigues me but hearing how the AI doesn't really understand how to win on Terra makes it seem like a bad idea for AU's first venture.

Comment

Continents. Terra will be a cool setting for a later AU game. As will many of the maps (anything aside from clearly-MPonly maps).

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Continents, I think its a pretty obvious choice and will win without much debate.

Comment

Continents is the most standard and will allow for a good amount of concepts to be played out (i.e. sea exploration will be important, but not vitally so).
                "There is only one religion, though there are a hundred versions of it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Like everyone else who has posted, I'm all about the continents. I'm a little skeptical about Terra because of the whole old world/new world thing. It sounds like an interesting concept, but my strategy usually does not focus on ocean exploration. I feel like I'd be buried by not getting to the "America" ASAP... Has anyone tried the Terra option yet?
                  "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

I've played Terra and enjoyed it. I was playing on Noble at the time, so I was able to beat the AI to the new world and colonize/conquer it almost completely for myself. My empire dwarfed any of the AIs. I could've lost my original 5 cities and still won. Since it was Noble, I hesitate to drawn any conclusions, but I've heard from others that the AI doesn't really know what to do with the New World.

I can imagine, however, that a civ that focuses on, say, military conquest in the Old World might do well (instead of spending those resources on galleon loads of settlers and enough troops to pacify the New World).

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Continents. 'Cause I want to be on the winning side in one of these polls!

Tom P.
                      (No, seriously, like everyone else, to keep it standard.)

Comment

Maybe I'm just too new to Civ 4, but I've found Terra to be MUCH harder than Continents. I'm finding that the Old World is so cramped that I always seem to be missing a key resource like Horses or Bronze... always something... Also, I'm finding that the Barbarians maintain a certain tech level. At one point, they actually had riflemen guarding their cities. That's all well and good since I had Infantry at that point, but still... it wasn't hugely easy to defeat all of the cities.

Actually, in my game, the New World was two continents. I conquered the Northern one and settled most of the rest. The Southern continent was MUCH more stubborn than the North. The New World is definitely rich with resources though!!
                        "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

If playing Terra, just reduce the number of AI to compensate for them all being in the 'Old' World.

Comment

banana

peel back and wait for the wonderous suprise
                            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I think I'm going to take your suggestion and try reducing the number of civs. I think the bottomline is that there are just too many of us on the starting continent.

Comment

Working...
                              X