Excuse my ignorance but..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse my ignorance but..

Can someone explain to me what is Apolyton University?

I cannot find a "mission statement" anywhere and the threads only give me a vague idea of what is going on.

Thanks.
    Virginia Tech Hokies--->GO HOKIES!!! TechSideline.com

Apolyton University has its roots in a group of Civ 3 players who enjoyed comparing results of playing the same game but wanted a focus on learning and having fun rather than on the competition of a "tournament game" environment. When we set up Apolyton University, what we did was launch a series of themed games - "courses" - focusing on exploring particular aspects of the game, or in a few cases strategy for particular civ/unique unit combinations. We also created the Apolyton University Mod, which was designed to help the AI play a bit better and to make some of the choices in the game more interesting where it had previously seemed obvious which choice was best, but to avoid changes that did not serve those goals because we wanted to keep most of the feel of the standard game. The forum for Apolyton University's Civ 3 activities is here.

Comment

I'm new to the civ world and enjoying Civ IV very much. I'm presently doing my first noble level game. Ok so far, but I want to be better at this than I have been. I figured out that the games signals you when you are taking too long when the AI's start sending spys and you start experiencing global warming. (Speaking of which, can anything be done about global warming?)

Where does a late comer start the AU courses? Vel's threads have helped a lot, but reading some of the posts here, it seems I should try some of the scenerio games here. Do I just download a start game from somewhere and start the game from there.

Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Right now you can play the AU100;it's more than 30 days old,so imput the 60 days option(I think it's enough,if not imput more then 60).
        New ones are waiting for the patch.
        Best regards,

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I have a question that I'd like to toss in here because I think it is ignorant but Civ4 has the "World Builder" now, and you can activate it in game now and cheat. Have you all somehow turned off world builder for AU games? That way someone couldnt cheat to get a good score? I remember in SMAC it would warn you that 'no points will be gained once you turn on the editor' but no such warning comes up in Civ4. I am just wondering how you handle that.

If you can turn it off, how do you do so so that perhaps I could turn off the world builder in some of my mods?

I hate to thread jack but I really would feel worse about starting a new thread and mucking the forum up with it.. Thank you ever so much!
            Siga El Conejo Blanco
            Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
            | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

If you cheat in an AU class, you deceive only yourself.
              The goal is not to get a high score, but learning and trying different approach from your standard gaming style.

Comment

An excellent place to start learning about the Apolyton University would be here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=156369.

For CIV, there have only been 2 AU courses so far, but we will be adding more as we go along. Also take a look at some of the various DARs in this thread to get a sense of how people use the AU to help expand the gaming experience.

As for cheating, as wertyu70 says, you're only cheating yourself. The AUs are not competative, and the true victories are found in learning new things about the game.
                I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

I wouldnt want to cheat myself, I hate opening the World Builder for anything more than creating a custom game or mod. The /real/ question I was asking is that whether or not it was possible to disable the World Builder in mods, so that when I create my mod/custom game I can disable it so people cant get into it.
                  Siga El Conejo Blanco
                  Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
                  | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

Working...
                  X