No announcement yet.

What Civ and leader for our first game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm partial to Ghandi, but Saladin works for me too They're both good "welcome to CivIV" leaders.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

both india and arabia are civs people are pretty likely going to chose anyhow. i believe however than militaristic, scientific and creative traits are less common for the first games.

also, NOT having mysticism in the beginning makes it more interesting on whether an early religion is worth it. with the arabs, you'll spend 15turns or so on polytheism and then go for the rest, while with a non-religious you'll have to consider first researching mysticism and hoping for hinduism/judaism.
      - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
      - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

I can live with whatever, as long as I get to play an AU game

With that being said if this course is not going to have a specific theme other than intro to CIV IV why not take a CIV that gives you two divergent paths to follow and lets see what happens and what approaches are taken?

Montezuma - Aggressive/Spiritual
        The Aztecs were the most feared Dagger civ in the C3C era; they are still worrisome in this regard in the CIV era. With a fast run on Iron Working (possibly fueled by an early religion grab) the Jaguar Warriors can be on your doorstep quite early - no anarchy to switch to Slavery means that an exceptionally bold player can even lash his own people to churn a few more Jaguar Warriors out. The Jaguar, apparently a weak resourceless swordsmen, is actually quite potent - capable, with a barracks, of coming into play with an anti-unit promotion, and still a jungle denizen. Though the playstyle is different, the Aztecs are still a Dagger civ to be respected. As the game progresses, the Aztecs still enjoy their Aggressive bonus and no-anarchy, but by the modern era and "warfare via machine," they fade badly, unless you're a civic-switcher.
        Early Game: STRONG
        Mid Game: Average
        Late Game: Below Average-to-Average
        Go warmonger or religious or a little of both.

Strong early game and average mid game.

This might be the ticket...........
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I'll throw in a vote for.... Isabella. That way we can mess around with religion and expansion.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Or we could just go for coolness factor and play Rome...

-Lucius Flavius Arrianus

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Just pick a civ, pick a map type, (Continents is probably best), get someone to start the damned game already
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Some want to start right away, others wanted to wait... only one thing to do, Krill: make a poll! Let's vote on starting this week, next week, or later.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  Or we could just go for coolness factor and play Rome...

-Lucius Flavius Arrianus

Comment

lets go with the new nation

makes sense

new game
                    new nation
                    new AU course
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
                      I can live with whatever, as long as I get to play an AU game

With that being said if this course is not going to have a specific theme other than intro to CIV IV why not take a CIV that gives you two divergent paths to follow and lets see what happens and what approaches are taken?

Go warmonger or religious or a little of both.

Strong early game and average mid game.

This might be the ticket...........
                      Where'd you read THAT crap, Con?
                      Friedrich Psitalon
                      Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                      Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
                        Where'd you read THAT crap, Con?
                        Um I cant remember some goofball who thinks he knows about Civ IV Strategy, give me a minute and Ill try and think of his name
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

So... Umm... How about that first course now? Or have we decided to wait for the first patch before we begin?
                          XBox Live: VovanSim
                          xbox.com (login required)
                          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                          Spore page

Comment

Personally, I'd like to wait for the patch in the hopes that it will solve the problems I'm having with the game. However, if people really want to get started, I'll probably just sit out the first game.

I agree with Arrian that we should do a poll on this.
                            They don't get no stranger.
                            Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
                            "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

Well given that the patch is due any day now and there will probably be compatibility problems post patch we may as well wait.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                                Well given that the patch is due any day now and there will probably be compatibility problems post patch we may as well wait.
                                Well, I was just, ya know, wondering why it all of a sudden got so quiet around here. But any way, waiting for patch sounds like a good idea, 'specially if it's true that it'll be here real soon.
                                XBox Live: VovanSim
                                xbox.com (login required)
                                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                                Spore page

Comment

Working...
                                X