AU 141: Introduction to Civilization IV Coordination Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU 141: Introduction to Civilization IV Coordination Thread

The goal of this first Apolyton University course is simple: to help us learn more about how Civilization IV works and get used to the game’s strategies. Toward that end, it will include multiple scenarios, with players able to play as many or as few of them as they want to and have time for before we are ready to start our second course.

Note that since we are just starting to learn the game, reports of unsuccessful strategies can be just as valuable as reports of successful strategies because we need to learn what doesn’t work as well as what does work. Even if players find themselves in a hole where they do not want to try to finish a game, they are encouraged to report what happened up to the point where they decided to quit. Players are also welcome to play the same scenario multiple times if they want to compare how they do with different strategies on the same map.

As the scenarios are developed and DAR (During Action Report) threads are opened up, links will be added to this thread. The download thread names should follow the pattern.

AU 141A: Introduction to Civ IV Scenario A
    AU 141B: Introduction to Civ IV Scenario B

Edit: Arrian was going to set up a scenario, but there were some problems getting it set up properly so we're on hold for the moment. My copy of the game was shipped Monday (due to Amazon's being very slow to ship my preorder) and was last tracked in Atlanta earlier today, so hopefully I'll get it tomorrow or Saturday and be able to set up a scenario within a day or two after I get it if Arrian doesn't beat me to it.

We'll also need During Action Report (DAR) threads for each game of the form

AU 141A DAR 1 - 4000 BC - 1500 BC
    AU 141A DAR 2 - 1500 BC - 0 BC
    AU 141A DAR 3 - ??? - ???
    …

(We still need to determine the exact cutoffs; I’m just guessing at what we might want for the first two, and I’m not sure what we’ll want for the others. We can refine our ideas of how the DARs should break down as the course progresses.)
    Last edited by nbarclay; November 3, 2005, 21:36.

I would say, the time when your first settler is complete is a good cutoff for the first DAR (atleast 25 turns in, up to 50 or so turns, probably less), and the best cut off for the 2nd DAR would be 1AD (no idea on the number of turns).
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

TEST

Doh. Disregard.
      Last edited by Arrian; November 1, 2005, 22:51.
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Can somebody with the game download that and tell me if works?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Appears to work just fine, although it starts off in 1938 AD.
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

Yeah, weird date bug I think.

Cool.

Does it really need a separate download thread?

-Arrian

Comment

Arrian, that is the WBAutoSave.Civ4WorldBuilderSave it looks like. It is from 1938AD... the cities and everything are there. Needs to be the WBQuickSave.Civ4WorldBuilderSave.

If you don't have the WBQuickSave.Civ4WorldBuilderSave, you can load up the AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.Civ4SavedGame again, it should update the WBAutoSave.Civ4WorldBuilderSave to start from 4000BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                Yeah, weird date bug I think.
                Ummm, well, the world seems pretty well-developed there. So the date appears correct. The whole world is explored and settled, pretty much.
                Spore page

Comment

DOH! Ok, I'll fix that. My bad.

Comment

Let's try this again...

I just loaded the quicksave... and it's the save I put up - the world already discovered/developed.

Comment

Damn. Now that I've loaded the file, I see that it's not even the right game.

Comment

Somehow, my autosave stuff got all screwed up. I'll have to generate a scenario from scratch, as my last two games (solid, balanced starts, I felt, are lost for this purpose).

-Arrian

Comment

So confused. Gotta go to bed. I'll work on this tomorrow. How irritating.

The long and the short of it is that one of my worldbuilder saves is the 1938 AD save of my 3rd game (the map I wanted to use) and the other worldbuilder save is the latest save from my 4th game. Neither gets me 4000 bc.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            The long and the short of it is that one of my worldbuilder saves is the 1938 AD save of my 3rd game (the map I wanted to use) and the other worldbuilder save is the latest save from my 4th game. Neither gets me 4000 bc.
                            Well, you could try the regular save (not world builder) from 4000bc - in Saves\single\auto. That will always contain the save of the first turn of the last game you played, so it should have a 4000BC save of the last game, which if you load will generate a world-builder save for that turn as well. So unless you started any new games since the last one you liked, then it should still be there.

Vovan
                            Spore page

Comment

I thought I'd looked in that folder last night! But yeah, in my frustrated/tired state, I DID start several new games.

Here's the thing: during my most recent game, I made a wrong move and used the autosave to back up and try to fix it (this didn't actually work, I think b/c the autosave saved *just* after the action in question). In order to do that, as per Aeson's instructions in the other thread, I loaded the autosave as a scenario... which may have been like starting a new game, right? Which would have wiped the 4000bc save, right?

Anyway, I'll just have to find a new map. How do I reveal all resources in the worldbuilder... do I need to activate the cheat mode?

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X