Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we have a members enrolment thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we have a members enrolment thread?

I was thinking it might be useful to have a members enrolment thread. A thread for general registrations so that people who want to start playing the AU games and mod can introduce themselves.

It would of course be optional and not all entries need be filled in.

The registration thread would have an opening post similar to the one below.

.................................................. ........................
    .................................................. ........................

Apolyton University Enrolment.

This is the Apolyton University registry. If you would like to participate by playing the AU course games and/or participate in the AU mod, please enrol here.

Please note: This is not a discussion thread.

Post a reply with the following information:

Username: (Your username goes here)
    Chatname: (What you use for IRC Chat)

Age (optional): (How old are you?)
    Location: (Where do you live in the world? Include your timezone)

Play level: (What is your normal play level Civ3/Civ4)
    Play style: (What type of player are you: Warmonger/Builder etc.)
    Victory Conditions: (Which victory conditions do you normally go for.)

AU courses: (will you play the AU course games? yes/no)
    AU Mod: (Will you participate in the AU mod development - yes/no)

Aspiring: (What your goals are in joining the AU)

The above information will help in designing AU courses that benefit all those that participate.

Thank you

.................................................. ............
    .................................................. ............

Well despite what it says above this is a discussion thread. So what are you waiting for.

Please vote and post a reply.

Harrier UK
    Yes.
    47.37%
    No.
    36.84%
    Don't know.
    10.53%
    Other (please specify).
    5.26%
    Last edited by Harrier UK; November 1, 2005, 17:43.
    "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

So long as it was optional. Some people don't like to be disturbed.
    Friedrich Psitalon
    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
      I could see something like this: introduce yourself, get to know other people better - but making it mandatory for playing the courses, nah, I wouldn't do it. In addition to some people not liking to be disturbed, some people are paraniod about saying anything personal on the net (me ).

Vovan
      XBox Live: VovanSim
      xbox.com (login required)
      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
      Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon

It would be optional and not all entries need be filled in - if people did not want too. (Age/Sex/Play level etc.)

Also there would be nothing to stop people playing the AU games and not registering. It is just to get a feel for the types of players who are interested in the AU.

Comment

While I like the idea of an enrollment thread, as it would make the discussions a bit more personal, it shouldn't be mandatory. Some may not want to provide too much info about themselves. OTOH, the fields in this enrollment form don't really give too much away other than age and location... In a different game community forum we included pictures of ourselves, but then it was password protected.
          Last edited by polarnomad; November 1, 2005, 20:57.

Comment

I would very much like to be able to make a thread about this.

Comment

I like the idea as long as we make sure it's very clear that it is entirely up to players whether or not they want to post their information. I would also like to offer a couple slight changes.

1) Year of birth would probably be better than age since age has a nasty habit of changing every now and then.

2) It might be interesting to have a place to indicate what Civ and Civ-like games people have played a significant amount.

3) It would also be interesting to suggest that if people want to, they can tell anything else about themselves (job, other interests, etc.) as a way of getting to know each other a bit better.

Comment

Well only 8 votes so far - which is not alot. Let's hope we get a few more over the week-end.

Before we make the descision.

Comment

I voted yes as a newer person because I've always liked the idea of AU and I love being a part of a community but getting into an entrenched community can be tough. An introduction thread for newer and older members to post in would be great.
                  "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Comment

1) Year of birth would probably be better than age since age has a nasty habit of changing every now and then.

2) It might be interesting to have a place to indicate what Civ and Civ-like games people have played a significant amount.

3) It would also be interesting to suggest that if people want to, they can tell anything else about themselves (job, other interests, etc.) as a way of getting to know each other a bit better.
                    I'm on a rampage tonight, so good to have my old username working again.

Anyway, isn't all this stuff we can put on our profiles already, if we want to? Or our Sig? Not sure what we gain by trying to get folks that are willing to share that info to share it a second time, and even more, what we gain by asking that info of someone who has already said they don't want to share it by not putting it in their profiles.
                    I'll have to go double check my profile and see just what's built-in and what's not, but most forums let you put your birthday, interests, hobbies, yadda, yadda, yadda. I generally leave it blank because if anyone needs to know, they can ask me and I don't worry about anyone having more info on me than they are really entitled to.
                    Not quite paranoid, but the intarweb is a big, wide, wild place with just as many bad guys as good.

Edit: There's lots of places for info on the profile. Granted, it's not some uber thread of doom with everyone in one place, but I'd be unlikely to register with more than my username. That was another thing I liked about the C3 AU, if you feel like joining in, just hop in and go for it. No intros needed, no pressure, just play and learn from some of the best.
                    Last edited by ducki; November 3, 2005, 22:31.
                    "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

As each university has a list of its students AU should have one too.

However, I think that the only required field should be the Apolyton login name and everything else should be optional.

Comment

Originally posted by ormuzd
                        As each university has a list of its students AU should have one too.
                        Doesn't the AU Civgroup accomplish this?
                        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Maybe offer as a reward a small icon under their name listing them as an "AU student" or "Freshman", "Sophmore", "Junior" or "Senior"

This would please those who like some recognition, yet still allows those who do not want to have this recognition, the right to continue their "CIVics" education.

Comment

That is already in place. If you look at this post and from other people.

Not sure which thread I posted to - to get it!

Comment

hehe I was wondering how you guys got those. I thought you were all old veterans of the AU and were on staff.

Comment

Working...
                              X