Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most n00b question ever

Hi, y'all.

Short introduction: Alledgedly grown up and serious, I've been plodding around with CivIV for a couple of years on and off after picking it up on discount from my local outlet due to nostalgia for the I and II games. I've been completely oblivious to the online community side of it. That is, untill discovering this site.

Browsing the forums have been an eye-opening experience. Much appreciated, I look forward to trying out new-found knowledge on those pesky Aztecs next time around.

However, one thing seems unclear to me - and, very aware that I'm plenty of years behind everyone on this forum - triggers me asking the announced "most n00b question ever."

What's the benefit of chop rushes?

Granted, you get +40 - +60 cutting down the forest, but, let's say you're doing a normal length game. You lose many times that production in the long run if you just leave the forest in place, especially if it's on grassland and not slowing your city growth. When you add lumbermills (and railroads) the yield improves even more! If you're out on the flatlands, chopping down everything surely leaves very production - thin cities?

There, I've said it. Everybody bring out the sticks and stones now.

Thankful for (further) enlightment!

Chops give you a quick boost RIGHT NOW to get an early settler out all the sooner. Or perhaps a quick boost to get a particular wonder a little sooner which may be just the edge you need to beat the AI to that wonder. I chop to assist the rapid early expansion and to snare a wonder. One may chop to rush military units if needed in a hurry. The mathematics technology will boost the hammer output of a chop.

The benefits of early chops is that you kick start your empire. Thus grabbing an early lead which hopefully you can build on.

Lumbermills are far into the future, railroads more so. Workshops come sooner as a production boost.

Of course forests have health benefits and defence bonus for units sitting on them (yours or enemy units).

Comment

I thought the biggest n00b question was "how do you end this turn?"
      My identity is of no consequence save for the epitath of your grave.

Comment

Working...
      X