[BTS]Question about the Wonder 3 Gorges Dam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [BTS]Question about the Wonder 3 Gorges Dam

If I build this wonder, which gives power to all cities on same continent (IIRC) will it do any good to also build Hydro plants?

I noticed they are also available after this wonder has been built, looks to me like they have same characteristics?

Thanks in advance!

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

No, unless you expect to lose wonder city in a war.

Comment

Originally posted by trev View Post
      No, unless you expect to lose wonder city in a war.

Thats what I figured, thanks so much!

Comment

I was disappointed to find that it appeared that I still got health penalties for power. Back in the good old days of the Hoover Dam it was a pollution-free power plant.

Comment

Really? What health penalties?
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
            I was disappointed to find that it appeared that I still got health penalties for power. Back in the good old days of the Hoover Dam it was a pollution-free power plant.
            Ouch..hadnt exxperienced that, however, I see where if you had Nuclear theen some penalty may apply..I will have to check that out, would suck if you are correct (not accusing you of being wrong , just if you weren't right)

Gramps

Comment

IIRC power health penalties are independent from the buildings themselves. That is, a coal plant will have a penalty for the building and then for power, while a hydro plant will just have power.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

never noticed that.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                  never noticed that.
                  True, nonetheless. Power of any type is 2 . Experienced more often by those who PLAY thru the industrial/modern ages, of course. Those who prefer quick wins (not referring to game speed setting! ), need not be concerned.

Comment

Actually, even playing as the warmongering fool that I am. I get to factories quite often.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There can be benefits in building coal plants 1st and then the Gorges Dam later. 1st and most obvious is the earlier power boost to . 2nd there's an event that gives +4 to cities with coal plants. Lastly is to deny the Dam to another player. Later buildings supersede earlier ones, so coal 1st- Dam 2nd will avoid the penalty from coal plants. You just need to determine on a per-game basis if the cost of building lots of coal plants &/or the Dam is worthwhile.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

A lot of times I'll build a coal plant in the city that I plan to build the Gorges in.

Comment

According to this there is a tag that tracks "dirty power" (i.e. coal) but doesn't seem to apply to other sources of power: http://civ4.wikidot.com/xml:globaldefines
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

The pollution model in BTS is quite busy. Apart from building and power there is resource for both coal and oil.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                              According to this there is a tag that tracks "dirty power" (i.e. coal) but doesn't seem to apply to other sources of power: http://civ4.wikidot.com/xml:globaldefines

Comment

Working...
                              X