Replaying a game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaying a game

How often do you replay a large part of a game?

I am playing a Washington of the Incas game as I try out some unrestricted leaders.

Standard map size, 6 AI's, 5 are on my continent 1 on an island right close to the continent, but on the other side.

First time through I played till about 1AD and I was in bad shape. I am on a long peninsula and at the entrance to the main continent is Saladin of the Aztecs and Togu of the Mali.

Distance costs were killing me, I couldn't get open borders with Togu (no surprise), Saladin hated me and when he DOW's me that cut all trade so my economy was in shambles.

In both games I founded buddism and Saladin hinduism, but the second game I made sure I'd get Stonehenge for the GP and my shrine. I got that and then the Oracle too. I took CoL got that shrine too, rushed courthouses. My tech rate went down to 20 with 10 gold in the bank, but now I am in great shape.

The big difference was that buddism spread to togu so now he likes me and Saladin attacked him instead.

I was surprised the same game turned out so differently with only a few changes on my part.
    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

The only time I've replayed sections of a game is when I wanted to see if I could change things in an effort to learn why things work. Mostly having to do with war aspects (gee what a surprise for me) Things like being DOWed. I may go back 20 turns and see if I can keep it from happening, or when in a war, going back and changing my defenses to see if it will change the target of the AI's SOD.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I tend to experiment with different strategies a lot and thus there have been games when I've replayed significant portions of them. Usually it'll be something such as doing a CE when I did a SE the first time, or a more esoteric variation.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        The only time I've replayed sections of a game is when I wanted to see if I could change things in an effort to learn why things work. Mostly having to do with war aspects (gee what a surprise for me) Things like being DOWed. I may go back 20 turns and see if I can keep it from happening, or when in a war, going back and changing my defenses to see if it will change the target of the AI's SOD.
        I have done a lot of that for those reasons but this was the first time I replayed such a large portion.

I did end up doing more of an SE style (which I almost never do) because of terrain and economy. I can see how that can work, especially in rep.

Doing a war is also an eye opener. I have been attacked early game with what seems like a huge stack, but reloading from an auto save often the addition of only a few units will save the day.

Really gives you a better feel for the minimum defense you need.
        Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I rarely replay portions of games because half the fun is the surprise of the game

But yes, I will also replay some turns for learning purposes... like how could I have avoided that, or as GV said, what defense could have stopped it.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
          X