Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the explanation for the way vassalisation works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the explanation for the way vassalisation works?

I hate when a friendly civ that I am at peace with, vassalizes a civ that I am at war with and I end up at war with both civs.
    What is the logic behind this game mechanic?
    Quendelie axan!

I think 3.19 fixed it so that if that happened, you were forced into peace (rather than into war). Can anyone verify?

Comment

I believe how it works depends on whether or not the target of vassalization was the aggressor. If the now-vassal started the war, the war ends. If it was the target of another civs DoW then the master civ is forced into war with the aggressor. Think of it as a military intervention.

I think that's how it works but am not 100%.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

War only ends if the vassal was at war with its new master,and you were at peace with that master. If the vassal was at peace with its master, then it is a voluntary vassalage and the master adopts the war status of the vassal.
        However if the vassal was at war with the master, then it is capitulation and the vassal adopts the war status of the master.

Comment

Originally posted by trev View Post
          War only ends if the vassal was at war with its new master,and you were at peace with that master. If the vassal was at peace with its master, then it is a voluntary vassalage and the master adopts the war status of the vassal.
          However if the vassal was at war with the master, then it is capitulation and the vassal adopts the war status of the master.
          This is my observation as well and I think that it has always worked like that.

This means that in the case of voluntary vassalization the friendly/pleased civ actually DoW on you. And that does not make sense.
          It seems to contradict the rules for DoW that the AI follows otherwise.
          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Working as intended.

If they ask for help, then help they shall recieve. Thus thier new master joins the war against YOU. That is also a reason to check the diplo screen when somone comes at you asking to be thier new master. If they are currently at war, then you join that war.

If your both gang banging on them, then the wars end all at once.

Basically there are two forms of vassalization. Capitulation, and vassalization. Capitulation is demanded through war. Vassalation (wich the ai can volantarily break after 10 turns) is a peaceful negotiation for protection.

So u beating on somone pushed him to beg for the protection of another civ. Thus he joined the war against you.

If you and another civ are fighting over the spoils together, then if the hapless civ Capiltulates to either side, the war is over for both of you.
            Last edited by Hauptman; February 5, 2010, 09:18.
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

All I know is that when I disable vassalisation, it works as I intended.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Bah rah, your too short sighted. It's one of the best features of the game. Easily my favorite addition to CIV over any other incarnation. Adds depth and challange, instead of letting you steamroll through each civ 1 at a time. You have to be ready for another super power to jump to the defense of a nation when it risks destruction.
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

And on the flip side, it allows you to secure 'colonies' overseas, or create buffer zones between you and the real threats (think USSR's vassalization of poland as a buffer vs western europe).

Comment

If it worked better, I'd agree with you. But when a civ refused to buckle under to you and then ends up the vassal of his previous worst enemy who isn't close enough to even help him, I consider it broken. The ending up at war with someone else didn't really bother me, and could live with that.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have mixed emotions about playing with Vassals. I turn it off for MP games, and many SP games. I do leave it on for some SP games, but then I end up getting pissed because it really doesn't work right IMHO.

It sure makes conqest games easier...
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I love having vassal states. It's a main priority in my games. Having a stable of vassals is just like having your own personal NATO alliance.
                        http://www.gnrevolution.com

Comment

I tend to be very generous to my capitulated vassals. I usually give them nearly all my tech and whatever resources they need to build better units. This allows them to hold their own in wars and they may research some techs that I consider low priority and can just get from them later or through the internet.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                          X