nb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nb question

I am a nb to CivIV, but a long time player of GalCiv. I am about 12 hours into my first CivIV game and there is one thing that is driving me crazy. I have looked through the manual and online for a solution but to no avail.

When you take a turn and you have lots of cities producing new units, the game asks what you want to produce next. After answering you go to the next city and the next city and so on and so on until you gone through all the cities that have produced a new unit.

Then I have to go manually search for every city that produced a new unit so that I can give the new units their orders. I am hoping that there is a easy way to find these new units that I have just not found yet. Please tell me there is way.

Thank you is advance for any replies.

There's an option (gameplay option IIRC) that cycles through every unit that doesn't have orders. It should be checked by default.

I think that should solve your problem. If not, I'm misunderstanding it.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

If you choose any unit (whether it needs orders or not) and select "wait" in the unit order options then the game will automatically take you to one of the units which need orders. That's usually what I do.

I also select in the game options "wait before ending turn" because I don't want the game to process the turn before I am ready for it to process the turn.

Comment

I do the same. In an MP game it can be devastating to end your turn prematurely.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In MP I also put something in the queue for every city that's one turn from finishing something so that you don't have to go through that whole list at the start of your turn and you can get right to the action.
          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

switch the popup option and it won't go through the cities till the end of your turn. Then it's automatic so if you forget to put something in the queue you don't get screwed doing city maintenance while you're being attacked.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

MrMystical, don't get confused by this MP stuff. It's good info, but doesn't really affect you in single player.

Comment

Actually I prefer to do my city maint at the end of the turn in SP also.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                  Actually I prefer to do my city maint at the end of the turn in SP also.
                  So do I.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah but that's simply a preference. Again, good info, but not necessary to do what he's asking about.

Comment

This kind of issue has been driving me nuts -- the forced sequence of build orders, unit promotions, etc, esp build/research choices, which locks you out of the main screen until you respond. When you get above a dozen cities and are at war as well, it just seems interminable.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
                        MrMystical, don't get confused by this MP stuff. It's good info, but doesn't really affect you in single player.

Might as well talk about other stuff since his initial problem is because he selected the no unit cycle option in the options menu. If he just unchecks it, he won't have the problem.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Selecting the "wait before ending turn" option was just what I needed. Thanks for all your help.

My next problem is I am only playing at the warlord level but I have yet to figure out a winning strategy. Oh well, that is the fun part.

Happy New Year

Comment

Yep, that's the fun part. If you need pointers, read some more threads or ask.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                            X