No announcement yet.

Why forts rule!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really miss being able to block choke points and thus expand at my leisure.
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Yes, ZOC is one of the only things I really miss in IV
      I hope they reconsider it for V

Of course if they do add it back they need to eliminate the cheats for it. Like using a spy or other non combat units to get around it.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You can still block choke points, but you have to use a settler to do it and whip a obelisk/monument if needed. (And pay the higher distance maintenance.)

Comment

Removing ZOC was a definite game changer. One of the few things about IV I'm not too keen on.

Mountain passes do compensate a bit, but they're few and far between.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Don't want someone getting in your ZOC? Don't open borders!

and yeah this doesn't apply to units in free land but cultural borders is in a similar vein at least..

Comment

Permeable ZOCs work in wargames with reasonably intelligent AI. ZOC can either stop an enemy unit in its tracks, attack or retreat to a non-ZOC tile OR a permeable ZOC where the ensnared unit can move one tile within the ZOC and work through it. Humans can build the defense in depth to accomodate the latter but programming the AI for the former is damn near impossible because of the repeating options.

I would favor permeable ZOC for forts, cities, and other occupied defensive buildings, but would oppose it for units and such in the open. Attaching the forced "attack or retreat" zones to all military units is useless in a game like ours with no fixed goals. As I stated, the AI can be taught to fight through to point X, but not pick an X, fight or retreat, repeat until the AI units going back and forth become obsolete. That way lies anothe Civ III-like snare -- too much detail. Note that in history ZOC-like situations emerged only in the US Civil War era and weren't universal until essentially WW I. So we don't HAVE to have them.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Well, since most units only move 1 space anyway, allowing ensnared units to move one tile within th ZOC is really no different. I'd prefer an attack, retreat, or move through (with considerable damage depending on number of units causing the ZOC)
                This would make a line of spaced forts mean something. It would simulate crossing fields of fire. And it would make breaking through a line of fixed defenses more important.

I know civ isn't really a war game but I'd like to see this incorporated.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Zone of control was wide open for abuse and I'm glad it is gone.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It was only open to abuse because of the exceptions.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                      Well, since most units only move 1 space anyway, allowing ensnared units to move one tile within the ZOC is really no different.
                      While few people really use it to its full potential, it would be nice to have a counter for Commando.

Comment

pillage your roads?
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                          However... forts for quick oil or canals or choke points
                          In my current MP game I built a few forts to make a north-south network of canals across my continent... once a found oil I discovered some right underneath one of my forts
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

The only thing sweeter than finish researching a tech that provides a resource and have it appear and be instantly available is getting that random resource to appear and be worked when you didn't already have it. I remember one game where I was attacking my "best bud" neighbor to acquire iron and just as I took his cap, Iron appeared in my cap's fat cross. Opps, my bad. Sorry about your cap
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah... nothing better than getting iron on a random mine when you don't already have it in your empire. Gold is a nice one to get as well, especially when it turns up in the BFC of your money city.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And again...

Not a choke point, not even in the way on the way to a city, just sittin there mindin my own buisness.
                                Attached Files
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Working...
                                X