I did WHAT???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did WHAT???

OK, so I voted for the other guy for UN secretary, because I didn't want to deal with having to choose what resolution to propose (The ones I cared about had passed anyway). I had defense pacts with about half the civs on the globe, and was slowly culturally inhaling my continent.

I hit the end turn button, and then I get the message "You have declared war on Ragnar!!" all my defensive pacts get cancelled, and Ragnar starts pillaging my fishing boats a couple turns later.

Now how in the world could this happen? it looks to me like he declared war on me, but it acts like I declared on him!

OK, so I was playing beyond the end of the game, but is that any reason for cheating?

I've included the saved game. just push the end turn button and try to explain.
    Attached Files
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

I would guess he declared on someone you had a defensive pact with, hence your DoW to him.

EDIT: He declared on Darius/Suleiman, with whom you had a defensive pact.
    Last edited by slnz; October 3, 2009, 18:17.
    It's a lowercase L, not an uppercase I.

Comment

So, if I declare war because of a defensive pact to one guy, my defensive pacts with the others get cancelled?

I guess it makes sense, but I didn't expect it to work like that.

Thanks.
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Defensive pacts are one-time only, voided automatically when a pactee (that a word?) either attacks or is attacked.
        It's a lowercase L, not an uppercase I.

Comment

True enough... One trick you can try is to bribe somebody to declare war on one of the parties envolved, or see if you can con one of the partners to delcare war on somebody else. But very rarely does that happen.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast View Post
            So, if I declare war because of a defensive pact to one guy, my defensive pacts with the others get cancelled?

I guess it makes sense, but I didn't expect it to work like that.

Thanks.
            Whether you declare war on your own or because of a pact, all other defensive pacts with you are cancelled automatically. If one of your partners declares, then your pact with him is cancelled. (They are defensive pacts.) Seems especially counterintuitive that one of your own defensive pact partners can declare on you, but they can and they will.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
              True enough... One trick you can try is to bribe somebody to declare war on one of the parties envolved, or see if you can con one of the partners to delcare war on somebody else. But very rarely does that happen.
              Yes, I've had poor luck trying to trick someone like that. (trying to get one of the participants to declare on some hapless civ, just so i can declare on the other partner without having to go to war with both.) Actually I was quite pleases to see that the AI wouldn't be that stupid.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
              X