1 Turn to Victory -- You Lose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Turn to Victory -- You Lose

I laughed when I saw this surprise: After playing 60 hours and launching a fully loaded spaceship 3 turns before Frederick launched a less loaded spaceship, the screen began a countdown to victory at 18 turns. Even after Frederick launched his minamalist ship with both engines, the countdown never stopped. Nothing appeared on any screen I was aware of that told me that if Frederick beat the failure odds, then he would win by getting to AC on the same turn as I did. Further, while I could view my spaceship (neat) I could not see his (???). Needless to say, this was my first Space Race. Usually I am so dominant at launch that no AI is up to a race. As expected, the non-launchers all came after me before I even launched. Once Frederick launched, they jumped him too; but I figured this might be standard. Was that a clue, maybe a coincidence. With no vassals, he was a very close third in power to me and Montezumas, both with vassals.

I would think a game designed for dozens of hours of play would at least indicate to the player that the victory countdown was not for the himself. Is there such an indication on some screen? What did I miss? (I know that as soon as I stop chuckling, my resentment is going to increase.)
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

The game doesn't tell you the AI is one turn from a cultural victory, or one turn from declaring war on you, so this doesn't surprise me.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

While I agree with rah... I also understand Blaupanzer's point of view. As rah said, the game doesn't count down other victory conditions But in the case of the space launch where the victory is counted down, I would think that since it isn't your victory, it should not show a countdown at all if you are the one lossing the race.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think the point is that you can see an AI cultural or domination victory coming on the victory status screen, but in this case you couldn't see the victory coming for the AI.

I would have to agree that this is something that is not the way it should be.
        Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
        http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

I don't know why you can't see it... spaceship parts are shown on the victory screen... and the launch is a recorded and announced event.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Launched 3 turns after me with fewer parts but both engines. Turned out to be a tie, so if the relatively low odds the AI would not make it kicked in, I won. However, the AI ship which was lighter caught up for a tie! Thus, if the AI ties with you, it will show your countdown. When I hit the return button on the "1 turn to victory" turn, I fully expected to see the movie. When I saw that "Frederick wins" come up on the screen, I burst out laughing.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

This sorta answers a question I had about whether a lighter spaceship would be faster but less reliable.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Boracks View Post
                I think the point is that you can see an AI cultural or domination victory coming on the victory status screen, but in this case you couldn't see the victory coming for the AI.

I would have to agree that this is something that is not the way it should be.
                Well, you can, but Saladin's cultural victory two turns before my ship reached AC still came as a surprise...
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

They human player stashing Great Artists can help disguise a cultural victory from the AI but the AI doesn't do that, so I don't see how it was that big of a disguise. Yeah every now and then I'm not anal checking those things, but cultural victories are usually noticable well before.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                  X