Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boudica the builder...

I'm a Prince level player, planning to move up to Monarch,
    I'm just having some games with Leaders I don't play often and one of them is Boudica.
    My previous games with her turned out to be rellay bad,
    I was tempted by Boudica's fighting attitude in too many early wars,
    I always overexpanded after knocking down 2 AIs and it took too much time to recover.
    In my current game I played a different style, after defeating Peter who started near me,
    I decided to delay my attack to Pacal and Alexander (he was cornered by Pacal).
    So I played a builder game, till I have Macemen and catapult, just to discover that Pacal cities were full of longbows and his army was bigger than mine...
    But he was friendly with me, we did a lot of trade so I was able to beeline to rifles
    and backfill with his help.
    Then I attacked him and after a few turns the war was over.
    Now I'm conquering the second continent, but they are really backward,
    so it is rifles+cavalry vs longbow.

So now this is my question for the experts:
    Is this the right tactic with Boudica?
    A single rush, a long recover and then rifle war?
    It seems a waste of time for such a combat oriented leader...

Even combat oriented leaders need money and science to win in the long run.

And what you described is pretty much what you'd do with anyone if you intend to fight eventually. It's just that combat leaders will need an edge to compete over the long haul, and taking territory early is one of the best ways. Note that this becomes less effective at higher levels (early rushes) UNLESS you have an aggressive leader.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Boudica is good for one early rush and one war post the major econ tech banking, once the money making buildings are in place in the appropriate cities. The advantage of an extra promotion at birth AND quicker promotions is only of use if you kill people. My conquering, to the extent required, is generally begun with infantry. With Boudica, I can start with Kuirassiers.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

While I like to eliminate someone early, all serious and game ending wars start with Cannons.
        If you beeline Steel the AI's don't usually have any counter for it. Hit a stack with 10 cannons and it doesn't matter what your offensive units are. They win big. Even if they're axeman and spearmen.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

1st to tanks with a time margin does it again. Each tank can attack twice. With non-infantry, et al, defenders (riflemen, cavalry) the tanks will survive 2 attacks, and your support troops will be fresh for any counter attack. With 2 fighters, 2 bombers, 10 cannons, and 20 tanks I clobbered 40 rifles in a hill city in one turn and moved 10 fresh infantry into the city to meet his 30 cavalry counterattack. 70 units alarmed me prior to this just by numbers. Not post.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Thanks for your answers.
            What puzzle me a little is that with different leaders usually I fight 3 wars:
            one for early expansion (a rush with axemen or chariots or swordmen),
            a medieval war (Maceman+catapults or Elephant+Catapults)
            and the final war (sometimes with rifles and cavalry,sometimes tanks and bombers).
            With Boudica I need to skip the medieval war because economy hasn't recovery yet.
            It sounds strange to me that peaceful leaders (like Gandhi or incas leader) can fight more wars than Boudica.
            And I haven't the same problems with other combat oriented leaders, such as Roman Leaders, Ragnar or Shaka.

Comment

You always have to have a strat for funding the empire.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

On standard pangea maps, you can eliminate everyone as early as Mace.

With Boudica, it's perfectly ok to eliminate 2 AIs by 0AD. Raze cities you can't afford to hold.

Comment

At what difficulty level?
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

More like, what speed. On Marathon that's not too hard, on Normal it's very very hard.
                    It's a lowercase L, not an uppercase I.

Comment

Yes, that too. Having played 0 games at epic or marathon, I don't consider the speed difference in my discussions. I'll try to remember that.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                      X