No announcement yet.

How do you know when to attack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still waiting for the pop up that tells me something useful. Instead of in the midgame when all the land is taken and the AI's culture borders you all the way around and the pop up is telling you to build a settler to expand. WTF. I'd rather see a pop up that says. "Hey you moron, check out the power graph. Gandi's land looks awfully juicy and all he's got are a few puny archers defending it. Even Deity Dude could take him out so what's your problem wuss. WOULD YOU LIKE TO DECLARE WAR NOW, or check out the city"
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"Give me more soldiers, noble leader, so that they may sheathe their swords in the beating hearts of our enemies!"

And others ...

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

AH, a nice trip down memory lane. But it did remind me of one thing that I really miss from CIVII. Being able to claim a tech after capturing a city. That might really spur on more early conflict.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

just finished replaying the great plains map. random civ- Incas. Started in the northern (kind of in the middle left to right) position versus the southwest position I had before. Before I was the romans. The starting area in the southwest didn't seem that bad, but perhaps it was? Because this game I stomped the living daylights out of everyone. Domination victory early 18th century. Highest score ever (due to the earliness of my victory).

The southwest position had lots of floodplains which I like. but perhaps they are overrated. The northern position had lots of plains with a few grasslands and a couple flood plains. I guess perhaps the northern position is just more balanced? I built 3 cities, then lots of swordsmen. this time I attacked the second highest civ which I should have done the first time (as the first time the civ kept getting stronger and stronger due to conquering and making vassals). I only took one city, but it was enough to put them back quite a bit. I also took over the two roman cities and wiped them out (didn't want to take a chance with their praets), and one barb city. I think built lots of cities to fill in the empty mountain space in the west. It took a while to clear out the massive forest, but the cities weren't too bad.

I eventually took over the rest of holy roman empire and a few mongol ones (they were actually friendly to me the whole game till the end!). A few culture pops later and I got a domination victory (India was also a willing vassal state- they started in the southwest).

Another thing I did different was spread my religion around alot after my initial conquering/expansion phase.

Comment

You were the Incas and you waited for swords to attack? tisk tisk.

I think I need to post more or make a sticky that says "You wanna win fights? then search Hauptman's posts!" :Þ

In a "Normal" game for me, you know when I'm not playin the Inca or other early rush civ, my neighbors get thier butts stomped on as soon as my macemen make an appearance, I usually double my size with that rush. Then once riflemen happen (for me) the neighboring civ that has been the most problematic goes down. If he capitulates early, as apposed to a long war of anihilation, I'll continue knockin heads til other civs catch up with grenadiers.

As I'm begining my civ, most cities will have 3 defenders (shuffled depending on layout) and ill build up an attack stack that sits idly by to defend against supprise attacks. This stack before maces might only be 5 or so units. You dont need many, if you use them wisely. by the time i have maces, ill have 5 or 6 cats, 5 or 6 maces, and 2 or 3 other defensive units in that stack. The city defenders make up the reserve. with those paultry numbers, I still dont loose.

And if yer not usin spies (even chariots work) to see who has what where, start. as you dont wanna attack a longbow defended civ before you can build trebs.
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

inca's unit seemed too defensive for me. That's normally why I don't play them for a financial civ. And I don't want huge financial problems too early (before currency and courthouses). And that may be another reason I did so well. I just crush with financial civs. It fits my playstyle to a t.

Comment

Defensive??!?

They're the early rush civ! Incan warriors start with COM 1 and +100% vs archer units. So build a dozen of them and kill every civ within 30 tiles!
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

com1?? I must have read something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
                    I had 2 trebuchets which I used to weaken the culture defense of their capitol.
                    That's not nearly enough. And you need to do alot more than just reduce the cultural defense. The main strength of siege units is their collateral damage, which means you have to actually attack the city with them. Which also means you're going to lose alot of them. You should have had at least 5x as many Trebs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
                      Cavalry just aren't strong enough to take out those units. At least not on a 2 to 1 ratio.
                      They might have been had you brought enough siege units to weaken their stack with collateral damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                        Defensive??!?

They're the early rush civ! Incan warriors start with COM 1 and +100% vs archer units. So build a dozen of them and kill every civ within 30 tiles!
                        I have trouble learning to play "warlord style". "Build a dozen" ? How do you do that ? You need at least three cities, right ? That is, 2 settlers. By the time I have 3 cities and am able to field 12 quechuas all my neighbors have axemen and make fun of my quechuas. What am I doing wrong ?

I've tried (after reading Theben's posts) to play Sitting Bull. I had established my second city and built my 3-rd dog when Charlemagne DOWed on me and attacked with 5 swordsmen and 3 archers.

Comment

CHOP AND WHIP. And your target has to be somewhat close.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by sorinache View Post
                            I've tried (after reading Theben's posts) to play Sitting Bull. I had established my second city and built my 3-rd dog when Charlemagne DOWed on me and attacked with 5 swordsmen and 3 archers.
                            I have to ask what level you're playing at. If you're playing emperor or above you shouldn't be attempting a Dog rush, unless circumstances have arisen that favor such (they're very close, you've found mining/BW from huts, got the 'tower shield' event, etc.) At Monarch you *can* rush but you have to get it out quickly, preferably before your target gets Slavery. At Prince or below it's a no brainer and very easy. In any case the situation you describe should never occur unless you're wonder-whoring early on.

In a nutshell: Your 1st 2 techs you research are Mining and then Bronze Working (this goes for most civs but for the NA more so). You will likely build a warrior-worker/work boat(/worker if workboat 2nd). Send out both warriors ASAP to tip huts for the obvious reasons. Use your boat/worker to increase your food production as the main priority, hammers 2nd.

By the time you have built the worker you should have BW. Go into Slavery ASAP and as rah said CHOP with the worker and WHIP your now food-flush people. IN ADDITION you can BUY Dog Soldiers if you've tipped enough money huts. Bring your remaining warriors home and upgrade them... if you need a little more $$ drop your research to 0% for a few turns (make sure to have 10 coins left afterward in case of the "forest fire" event).

If time is of the essence you can switch to Dog Soldier production right away, if not build a settler 1st to ensure empire growth. Then build/whip/buy/chop an army worthy of Mordor strong enough to take down your target. If they have archers be ready to lose a few DSs. If all they have are warriors, 2-3 DSs will be enough to take a city, probably with no losses. One Prince level game I took down 2 civs with 2 Dog Soldiers.

So ->BW/slavery, worker/lot of food production, chop/whip/buy Dog Soldiers, go kill someone. Ideally just before the barbs start rolling out.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

At the higher levels, the AI starts with archers. If you are planning an early rush, make sure you pick a civ that is NOT protective
                              Also, if you are early rushing, and you see copper in their territory, and there is a mine on it, destroy the mine and check to see how many axeman he has built already. Your dog soldiers can beat axeman, but you will lose a few more than you might have expected.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

At prince and below ( i think) the AI starts with warriors so a inca warrior rush will be ineffective.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X