No announcement yet.

Forts - What gives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DANGER, Will Robinson. Your ships will move into forts along the coast rather willy-nilly. As noted above the enemy's land units can kill upon entry, even if they can't use the forts.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Hence my frustration with JR yelling at me since the fort and road didn't work. (on how many turns he wasted)
      The only possible difference that I can see was I think it was a two square Island and the other square was a mountain, so even though it was a two square island only one square had a road. But that would make even less sense.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Life is strange. Stranger than most of us know. However, computers are controlled by code. What in the code would say: IF boat (name of all qualifying units) enters fort, THEN resource in forted square available to city with that fort in its controlled environment (BFC to we humans)? Therefore, something else had to change that turn.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Very odd. I've got no ideas.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I wasn't yelling at you, rah. I was pissed at myself for being such a noob. Could have had horses on a different island 30 or more turns earlier.

The copper was on a single mountain-isolated mainland tile.
            The nearby island was 4-5 tiles, with city at the end so that copper would be in its BFC.

I'm quite sure the following sequence of move/result happened:
            * worker completes fort >> no copper
            * worker boards galley (galley never enters fort) >> no copper
            * forted/mined/roaded copper tile empty >> no copper
            * empty galley ends turn on fort >> copper (axemen) available
            * galley leaves fort (no troops there) >> copper remains available

I honestly can't tell you if I might have gotten a tech in between, but I definitely had BW, sailing, wheel long before I built the fort.

I was so outraged when the fort did not give me axemen that I made sure rah and Ming witnessed the fact. They also both witnessed the appearance of axemen on the turn the galley landed in the fort.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

How about borders? Are you sure that your borders and open border agreements were such that they allowed the copper to be connected to your capitol at the time the fort was completed. Maybe there was a change in borders (open borders agreements) that coinsided with the boat ending it's turn in the fort.

Also if the trade connection through sea/ocean are recalculated in a different way compared to land connections. For example if the game recalculates the sea connections at the begining of the turn (I don't know if this is so) then the copper will be availeble on the turn after the fort is completed.
              Quendelie axan!

Comment

I'm assuming none of the players has a save?

I'd be interested to see the reason for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                  How about borders? Are you sure that your borders and open border agreements were such that they allowed the copper to be connected to your capitol at the time the fort was completed. Maybe there was a change in borders (open borders agreements) that coinsided with the boat ending it's turn in the fort.

Also if the trade connection through sea/ocean are recalculated in a different way compared to land connections. For example if the game recalculates the sea connections at the begining of the turn (I don't know if this is so) then the copper will be availeble on the turn after the fort is completed.
                  -All cities were coastal and the copper was within my cultural borders throughout the experience.
                  -The only nearby civ was Sitting Bull; we had open borders throughout and his cultural borders never reached the copper at any time.
                  -The copper became available about 3-4 turns after the fort was completed, immediately after the galley landed on the fort.

Sorry, no save available.
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yes it's too bad we didn't save it. We figured witnesses wouild be enough.
                    I can attest to everything with the only possible exception that the copper could have become avail prior to galley getting there and he just didn't notice, but It was a few turns after the fort and road were built that we confirmed that no copper was avail yet, so the only change that we knew of was the galley being on the square. Tougher to recreate in an MP game since the world builder is not avail.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I can assure you I was checking for axemen availability every turn.
                      Of course, I was drinking/ so take that with a grain of salt...

Comment

I'm sure you were, but since I wasn't, I can't personally attest to it. Even though I believe your version is exactly what happened. But since I was also doing the same thing, take that with a a grain of salt.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I was able to verify this problem with Ozzy's "can you survive" OOC game. I reloaded, played until I forted &roaded the horses on the single-tile island. I checked very carefully. Turn 1 no horse. Turn 2, no horse. Turn 3 I sent a galley over, no horse. Turn 4, I "fortified" the galley in the fort, no horse. Turn 5, I moved the galley out, no horse. Turn 6, HORSE.

go figure.

Comment

Lazy longshoremen taking their time to unload galleys
                            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Hmm, proof that we aren't crazy. Ok, maybe not definative.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                                Hmm, proof that we aren't crazy. Ok, maybe not definative.
                                But aren't you running the asylum now?
                                Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
                                http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Working...
                                X