Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VGA resources

Hi guys!

I've had this game buried for years (I initially played it when it came out, but due to my huge involvement in some other game I didn't play it as much as the previous versions).

Well, starting playing some mods recently I see that game becomes quite heavy.
    Is this possible?
    I mean, I have an AMD 3800XP, 9800GT and 2GB ram on XP pro and though I have no problem running any modern FPS, I get frequent crashes with Civ4 on gigantic/marathon!
    I wonder what are these civ4 graphics that cause so much problem.

What do you think, is this reasonable?

thanks!

grdolph, if you still have the same machine as you did when Civ IV first came out I am not a bit suprized in the slightest. Basically what happened was games take so long to develop that you have to make assumptions as to what the average machine on the market will be when it comes out. In Civ IVs case, there was a major overestimation on how fast the newer video card technology would come out.

Basically you had to have bought a desktop within three months or so of Civ IV's release date to be assured of having a machine with a good enough video driver with enough VRAM. Any machine prior to that depended heavily on weather or not you paid a premium
    for what was then top of the line graphics. It was even worse in the notebook market where even on release date, many notebooks were still being sold without seperate video ram.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

So, what you mean is that the system I describe above is "small" for civ4 at its max. settings? That's amazing!!!

Comment

If you pop a single 2gb SIMM into your system (go to 4gb) that solved almost all issues for me (not just CIV but other software such as Photoshop).
        Last edited by wodan11; April 25, 2009, 13:32.

Comment

Originally posted by grdolph View Post
          So, what you mean is that the system I describe above is "small" for civ4 at its max. settings? That's amazing!!!
          It's not your video card that's the problem but your processor. Civ 4 makes alot of processor calculations in the end game and an AMD
          3800 isn't going to be able to handle those every well. That's an an old and very weak processor compared to what's on the market today.

Comment

note, that ´gigantic´ isn´t really what you are supposed to play, when it comes to even ´recommended´ system specs.

Comment

Now listen to this!
              I put the graphics settings to low (which is no real difference to high settings, since civ4 does not have any great graphics) and so far CTD problems are solved!!!
              Meaning that graphics were causing this problem, while graphics is not special in the game.

Strange but anyway this solved the problem :-)

Comment

Working...
              X