Someone PLEASE help me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone PLEASE help me!

I have an issue! Well several of them actually... The worst one is that when I go to "custom game" and set up my options, then click "launch!", the game displays a message that says, "Must provide game name". The only option is to click "ok" but it won't let me continue. When I click Launch again it just displays the same message again. There is nowhere to enter this "game name" and I don't know why it's asking for it! Has anybody had this problem?? Does anyone know where I can enter in a game name? Please help!

The second issue is that when I reach about 400 to 450 turns, the game suddenly takes about 2 - 3 minutes to load a turn. When just before that, it would only take like 15 seconds or so and then I can do my turn, press end turn, wait 15 seconds, do my turn again, and so forth. But somewhere along the line, just all of a sudden, it starts to take about 3 minutes for the turn to load!

Someone help me please!

How much ram is on your machine? What cpu and gpu are you running?

Have you tried going into options and doing things to improve your performance like low-texture tiles or limiting animations?

Comment

Originally posted by BloodyMary View Post
      I have an issue! Well several of them actually... The worst one is that when I go to "custom game" and set up my options, then click "launch!", the game displays a message that says, "Must provide game name". The only option is to click "ok" but it won't let me continue. When I click Launch again it just displays the same message again. There is nowhere to enter this "game name" and I don't know why it's asking for it! Has anybody had this problem?? Does anyone know where I can enter in a game name? Please help!
      I have never heard of this before.

What version are you running - and do you have any mods etc loaded that will change the actual code of the game?

My intial reaction would be to advise that you completely uninstall the game, delete all associated folders, re-install and repatch.
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

In the original vanilla version, the game had severe memory leak issues. My guess is you need to patch it.

And get BtS.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock View Post
          How much ram is on your machine? What cpu and gpu are you running?

Have you tried going into options and doing things to improve your performance like low-texture tiles or limiting animations?
          I have 1.50 GB of ram and it's a Pentium 4, 2.40 GHz. My graphics card is a NVIDIA Geforce 6200 which is 256 MB. I will try lowering everything and get back to you... but my bigger problem is the custom game thing. I can't play a custom game because it keeps asking to "provide a game name". Do you possibly know what that might be??

Thank you very much for responding by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog View Post
            I have never heard of this before.

What version are you running - and do you have any mods etc loaded that will change the actual code of the game?

My intial reaction would be to advise that you completely uninstall the game, delete all associated folders, re-install and repatch.
            I'm running the updated version... 3.17e . But... here's what's interesting, I guess I should tell you. I purchased this game from the store... (the game I'm referencing, by the way, is Beyond the Sword) and I installed it and had a fun time playing it, everything worked great. But I eventually deleted civ4, warlords, and beyond the sword for whatever reasons... I'll spare you the monotonous details, and contrary to that previous action, I recently decided to re-install the game. But uh-oh, I lost the second installation cd for beyond the sword! Dang, so I bought the game from "DirecttoDrive.com" and just downloaded the whole thing from them for 20 bills. So, does that maybe have something to do with my problem?

The problem occurs even in the regular beyond the sword "custom game" option. Even without mods, and the only mods I have are the ones that came with the cds I bought in the first place. Which are part of the game. Like Final Frontier.

Here's something interesting though, DirecttoDrive says that the games are already patched and updated so there is no need to update it. I went to "advanced" then "check for updates" and it told me that no updates are available. So I downloaded the patch anyways and tried to install it and it says that no version of beyond the sword is installed! Is that something I should be concerned about?

I will try un-installing it if nothing else works, but I really don't want to lose the game I've been playing...

Anyways, thank you so much for responding!

Originally posted by Theben View Post
            In the original vanilla version, the game had severe memory leak issues. My guess is you need to patch it.

And get BtS.
            I don't know what "vanilla" version is but I do have Beyond the Sword and it apparently is patched and updated to 3.17e. I say apparently because if you read above I got it from "DirecttoDrive.com".

But thank you for replying I really appreciate it!

Comment

I will try un-installing it if nothing else works, but I really don't want to lose the game I've been playing...
              Just copy the save files to a folder on your desktop before you uninstall.
              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Dang, so I bought the game from "DirecttoDrive.com" and just downloaded the whole thing from them for 20 bills. So, does that maybe have something to do with my problem?
                It could have. Sometimes installers will skip over files that already exist instead of adding everything again. But since you're basically using two different versions of the game, you might be running into some compatibility problems. You should uninstall everything then only use one or the other.

So I downloaded the patch anyways and tried to install it and it says that no version of beyond the sword is installed! Is that something I should be concerned about?
                No you don't need to worry about that, it's a normal message to get if you try to patch an already up-to-date game.

Comment

Working...
                X