Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! CivFan in need of assistance! Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! CivFan in need of assistance! Please!

I know there are many threads on this subject but I've read them and am still having trouble.

I have Civ4 installed and just recently bought BTS.

I love playing multiplayer so of course I recognized early on that I would need to get the newest patch.

I've d/l and installed the official 3.17 from Fireaxis and the unofficial 3.17 from this very site, and still am being told by players in the lobby that I don't have the patch!

Frustrating!

I've saved them both in Civ4>>>BTS>>>Assets

Can anyone help me? I would be very grateful as I hear BTS is quite the game...

When I patched my game I didn't put it in any of the folders, but instead onto the desktop and opened it like any other program. Try that instead, but it does take a while for the patches to instal so be patient.

And welcome to 'poly.

Comment

I don't know if the unofficial patch will lety ou play multiplayer
      First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
      Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Originally posted by BranksDilly View Post
        I know there are many threads on this subject but I've read them and am still having trouble.

I have Civ4 installed and just recently bought BTS.

I love playing multiplayer so of course I recognized early on that I would need to get the newest patch.

I've d/l and installed the official 3.17 from Fireaxis and the unofficial 3.17 from this very site, and still am being told by players in the lobby that I don't have the patch!

Frustrating!

I've saved them both in Civ4>>>BTS>>>Assets

Can anyone help me? I would be very grateful as I hear BTS is quite the game...
        In general you can't play MP with the unofficial patch. You can, of course, but EVERYONE in the MP game must have the patch as well. My guess would be lobby folks don't usually have the patch.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

Duke: I tried that the first time with no luck, I guess I'll try again.

Can anyone let me know how to uninstall these patches so I can try this all over again?

Thanks again for your help, MUCH appreciated.

Comment

I'm just going to uninstall the whole program (BTS) and try again.

I'll report back with my results, wish me luck!

Comment

Depends on how you did the fan-made patch... if you just installed it as a mod, just don't start up with the mod.

If you overwrote files etc. with it (overwrote the DLL, etc.) and didn't back things up, then yes, total BTS reinstall is needed.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

OK, so I re-installed Civ4 AND BTS, d/l, saved patch (3.17) to the BTS folder and still when I go to play online, ppl say I don't have it.

When I go to install the patch again, my pc tells me I"m already version 3.17!???

I don't know if this means anything, but when I go to the About Build screen, it tells me;

Civ Version 317
                Build Version 3.1.3.1

Does this mean anything?

I really appreciate all the help so far but I hope someone can point out what I'm doing wrong. I've never had problems like this patching a game, I'm no expert when it comes to pc's but this is so frustrating.

Playing Civ4 until someone can help me...

Comment

uhem - and i never found a game easier to patch than civ4 - you do know, that there is an in-game update-service, right? In the main menu, go ´advanced->update´ - the game will check for avaiable updates and download and install them automatically. The question of how to install a patch, should not even arise, really. Of course this only goes for the official patches.

Another thing that could be the reason for your problem is: Are you launching BTS or Civ-Vanilla? Cause BTS comes with its own desktop icon, and if you want to play BTS, you should start it via this one (you will see a palace as main-menu background, instead of the earth-from-space-animation).

Comment

Originally posted by Unimatrix11 View Post
                    uhem - and i never found a game easier to patch than civ4 - you do know, that there is an in-game update-service, right? In the main menu, go ´advanced->update´ - the game will check for avaiable updates and download and install them automatically. The question of how to install a patch, should not even arise, really. Of course this only goes for the official patches.
                    Last I heard, the in-game update was "broken" in BtS and doesn't work. So you HAVE to install it manually. Some kind folks have made installers... look for those is the best advice.

Comment

Ok...

So what I was missing was the unofficial OOS patch.

A player in the lobby told me about it and sure enough that was it.

Comment

Originally posted by BranksDilly View Post
                        Ok...

So what I was missing was the unofficial OOS patch.

A player in the lobby told me about it and sure enough that was it.
                        Hmmm. I don't recognize that reference. Which patch is that?
                        If you aren't confused,
                        You don't understand.

Comment

Working...
                        X