Moving as a stack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving as a stack?

Is it possible to move a stack of units at the same time or must each move be done individually?

doktor57
    San Diego, CA
    Home of the world's busiest Radar Approach Control

You can group units by pressing Shift and select all units in the stack. Once a group is formed you can give it orders (like move) and they will be carried out by all units in the stack.
    There are also two buttons on the interface for creating groups. One is for all units in a square, the other for all units of the same type.
    So you can use this to, for example, use 3 workers to build an improvement simultaneously.

However grouped units will, for obvious reasons, not attack at the same time but rather one after the other.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Welcome to both doktor57 and YurYu!
      I use the buttons at the bottom for this purpose. If you mouse over the grouped figure buttons, a message will pop up to tell you which is which. This is great for keeping a protective unit with your workers or keep a cohesive mixed-unit stack in enemy territory. The chief disadvantage of stacked movement is all will move at the speed of the slowest.
      Note that you can select one unit in a stack to move separately without breaking up the whole stack. Handy for using a knight for single unit kills, as they can rejoin the stack afterward. Don't forget to reinitiate stacks (using the button again) if the stack is joined by strays. To break up a stack at destination, click on the unstack button at the end of the buttons on row 2.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

many thanks!

Comment

The easiest thing to do is double click on the stack to move the whole thing. (As was said, you will be moving at slowest speed. However, if the stack stops at a destination with some because of slowest speed and some units can still move, you can double click on the stack again. It will select only the units with movement.

If you have reason to differentiate within the stack, then you can use selection tools. Click selects one unit or one previously grouped selection of units. Shift click either adds a selection or unselects it. Ctrl click selects all off a type. Ctrl shift click adds all units of that type to the selection. Play with it a bit and it will become pretty obvious if not always elegant and simple.
          If you aren't confused,
          You don't understand.

Comment

Working...
          X