Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

re.: nVidia GeForce Go xxxx crash problems with Civ4 (nV4LoopFix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re.: nVidia GeForce Go xxxx crash problems with Civ4 (nV4LoopFix)

Hi all,

Long time happy member here who is finally getting around to contributing with some posts : )

I was having some serious, inexplicable sudden drops to desktops (no crash messages), crashes with messages, and even blue screen deaths over and over trying to play Civ4 anyhwere from 2 to 20 minutes apx after starting it.

It was annoying, frustrating.

Using some blue screen info, I was eventually able to track it down to an nVidia technician blog to something peculiar to nVidia GeForce Go 7600 and other such numbered cards. It took nVidia techs quite a while to figure it out, but they made a fix for it called "nv4loopfix".

The cards have a special feature ironically to boost performance, which delays video writes or something, and in situations where the card/systems specs are being pushed hard by Civ 4 or other games/apps, the card can go into an infinite loop with such delays and immediately crashes.

I was glad it wasn't my hard drive with unknown bad sectors, nor RAM errors, and haven't had such a crash again for weeks : )

Well, I hope that saves someone else a lot of time and grief, you can read the nVidia technician forum about it, and download it from:

Keep up to date with the latest announcements & discussions on the hot topics.

DMJ

Last edited by ZEE; December 31, 2010, 14:15.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

dmjones217,
      Welcome Aboard!

Don't mind AAHZ. All his reactions are extreme, but he provides a good "voice of cynacism" in our interactions. Glad your problems are fixed.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

holy crap, if this works it'll be the best invention since, well, civ4 for nvidia users like me. 1000 thank yous!
        I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

I have a 9600GT... would this be usable for that? I don't experience major problems but there is an occasional glitch which I've ascribed to other things.

Comment

Sounds like it's a particular issue really, not a general fix... so probably not relevant for you.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Dang, it does nothing for me. I think there were alternate suggestions on that link, maybe I'll try those later.

I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

Working...
              X