Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsolete Monasteries, Spiral Minaret and Apostolic Benefits

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if someone can clarify the situation when monasteries become obsolete esp. with regards to the apostolic and spiral minaret benefits.

If my monastery provides the following benefits prior to becoming obsolete:

+2 hammers, +2 gold, +2 culture, +10% beakers

then, assuming the spiral minaret and apostolic benefits are still active, when the monastery becomes obsolete with Scientific Method will the monastery provide the following benefits:

+2 hammers, +2 gold, +2 culture

or these benefits?:

+2 culture only

Cheers,

Jid

As far as I know you do not lose any benefit when it becomes obsolete, you just can't build one anymore.

Comment

IIRC you lose the benefits of the Spiral Minaret, Uni of Sankore, and Sistine Chapel. You keep the hammers and +10% science, and can still build missionaries, plus the original cultural bonus.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

You definitely lose Spiral Minoret, Uni of Sanskore and Apolistic Palace benefits. Don't know about culture and/or Sistine Chapel. Don't think you can build missionaries either unless you use organised religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
          IIRC you lose the benefits of the Spiral Minaret, Uni of Sankore, and Sistine Chapel. You keep the hammers and +10% science, and can still build missionaries, plus the original cultural bonus.
          I have checked an old save and it appears that you lose the 10% science and the hammers from the Apostolic Palace. The mouse over incorrectly continues to show these. (Which means I've been wasting hammers building all those monasteries just before discovering Scientific Method.)

RJM
          Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers View Post
            I have checked an old save and it appears that you lose the 10% science and the hammers from the Apostolic Palace. The mouse over incorrectly continues to show these.

RJM
            I just double-checked and RJM is correct- all you keep is the +2 and ability to build missionaries. And yes you can build them, you don't need to be in Org Religion. Only if the city has the religion and no monastery would you need Org Rel to build missionaries.

(Which means I've been wasting hammers building all those monasteries just before discovering Scientific Method.)

You aren't the only one. Not only that, but I've delayed getting Sci Method because of it! That and losing some really good wonders.
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Thanks all -> much appreciated!

Comment

Cultural benefits and missionary building remain. I'm not certain, but I think you keep Sistine Chapel effects as well. Building missionaries without organized religion, so you can spread multiple religions to cities in your empire under "Free Religion" can be very useful in boosting happiness in marginal cities. The cities full of crybabies wanting their mommy (previous empire) can be placated in war by shipping them a couple of missionaries, providing those actually succeed in spreading their religions.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I just double-checked and RJM is correct- all you keep is the +2 and ability to build missionaries. And yes you can build them, you don't need to be in Org Religion. Only if the city has the religion and no monastery would you need Org Rel to build missionaries.

(Which means I've been wasting hammers building all those monasteries just before discovering Scientific Method.)

You aren't the only one. Not only that, but I've delayed getting Sci Method because of it! That and losing some really good wonders.
                  You have to hate the trade-off Sci. Meth. forces you to ! I mean, I really crave the extra farm food from Biology and the open door to Electricity that Sci. Meth. provides. But otoh, I really hate losing the 30% science (I usually build 3 monasteries each in my 5 - 6 biggest cities that account for 80% of my )
                  I do not build Spiral Minaret (too expensive for the benefit provided) anymore. I used to in Civ IV vanilla. Consequently, I do not build Univ. of Sankore either (never seem to have enough time before an AI civ builts it) nor the apostolic palace (400 at that stage in the game ? you must be kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by sorinache View Post
                    I do not build Spiral Minaret (too expensive for the benefit provided) anymore. I used to in Civ IV vanilla. Consequently, I do not build Univ. of Sankore either (never seem to have enough time before an AI civ builts it) nor the apostolic palace (400 at that stage in the game ? you must be kidding)
                    Of course, you don't have to build the Apostolic Palace, just spread the religion to your production cities.

RJM
                    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers View Post
                      Of course, you don't have to build the Apostolic Palace, just spread the religion to your production cities.

RJM
                      Eh? I'd say all cities, since temples and monasteries are relatively cheap to build and +4 is quite useful to an up and coming city. And RJM is correct, don't build it, but make certain you have access to the AP religion. Best to get Theology yourself and then trade it to someone with your state religion who is small- let them build it.

Comment

Originally posted by sorinache View Post
                        I do not build Spiral Minaret (too expensive for the benefit provided) anymore. I used to in Civ IV vanilla. Consequently, I do not build Univ. of Sankore either
                        I still try to build them. It would be better if all the gold and science they collected went to the one city that built the wonder. Then you could build the Minaret in your Wall Street city and Sankore in your Oxford city.

Comment

One of my favorite fun tricks is to change my state religion to the newest one (= none of the AIs have it) on the turn before I build the AP. heh.

Comment

Eh? I'd say all cities, since temples and monasteries are relatively cheap to build and +4 is quite useful to an up and coming city. And RJM is correct, don't build it, but make certain you have access to the AP religion. Best to get Theology yourself and then trade it to someone with your state religion who is small- let them build it.
                            Ah ? I must research the AP benefits better then. I didn't know it brings to the cities that have temple + monastery of the AP religion ! I'll have a closer look, because I can certainly use +4 per city ... Since I try to found 2-3 religions AND I don't build the AP, even when I am the first to discover theology, I never actually HAVE the AP religion ! Hmmm, I should reconsider the way I play ...

Comment

It gives 2 per AP religion building. This includes cathedrals so you can have up to 6 in some cities.

Comment

Working...
                              X