Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lost my marbles

Hey there,

The marble disappeared altogether from my maps. I can't remember having seen marble in the last 30 games or so.

This probably has to do with a change in playing habits, I went back to Civ4 with BtS and since then I always chose intense games with many civilizations on small maps.

But it's still weird, I mean it's not like marble should disappear altogether just for that reason. And it's not like any other ressources have gone missing. Anybody out there who knows what's up with this?

Shut up, Munk.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
      Shut up, Munk.
      I love you too, Thøbus!

But you do realize this puts you high on the suspect list on this disappearing marble of mine.

No, really, I'm not crazy. Thæbën might be, but the marble is seriously gone and surely some of you guys would know what's going on.

Comment

I figure some resources are lost on smaller map sizes with many opponents. It may also depend on what land type you've selected (fractal, arboreal, etc.). Or the Canadians stole it. Or you're nuts.
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

But that's meaningless! Even if some ressources should disappear on intense maps, there's no reason marble should be one of them, and even if it is, there's got to be somebody out there who knows how to get it back.

Also Thebån, you're the one who's nuts! Just dancing away there in all your striped glory instead of helping me recovering the unfairly lost marble.

Comment

Better to laugh than cry, better to dance than... not dance.

I think the marble was there all along. You just can't see the marble for the quarries.

Comment

You guys are nuts.

Besides, everybody knows: the marble is a lie.

Comment

And Civ is a marble-ous game.
                Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
                http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

You guys are clearly off your rock-er.

Mong has lost something near and dear to him, and certainly shall not give up pursuit until he corners his quarry.

Can you not see the pain he endures? Surely this has been a tile for him.

But know this is set in stone: one day Murg will find what he seeks, for the way is already paved in front of him.

Comment

Well, I'm after marble, not stone, that's all, I'm not out to kill two birds. Also people who live in glass houses should throw marble only, at least until they build the Parthenon so they can live there (Edit: They don't do that all that much anymore, obviously). But don't you think you guys should be helping me here, or at the very least have some pity? I only have like once Civ-related question to post here once every second year or so. And the tiger dances on...
                    Last edited by Monk; January 28, 2009, 20:54.

Comment

lol, "marbles", "nuts" in the same post... i thought this was about the game.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't help Munk but I extend my pity to him. I do think marble and stone are rather unbalanced (with marble even more so than stone) : they offer too big a bonus if found nearby. There either should be much more of it on the maps, so that one can be reasonably sure of having one in the immediate vicinity of his capital, or (and I favor this option) their effect in the game should be tuned down. For marble, there are simply too many excellent wonders whose cost is halved.

The marble / stone bonus should be set to 50% instead of 100 %. Wasn't the Parthenon effect on GP points reduced from 100% to 50% between CivIV vanilla and BtS ?

And there should be more wonders who benefit from resources other than marble and stone (like the shedwagan paya or whatever is called, whose cost is reduced by access to gold, or the statue of liberty - copper).

Comment

There's a map selection or selection option that turns off up to four non-strategic resources in order to achieve something else (possibly the balanced option for resources in some map types?). Apparently marble is selected as optional/not available quite a bit. In any case, if you select fractal, big & small, med & small, and I suspect several other map types without getting "cute," the map will have all resources. Not enough of some, but all of them for sure.
                          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                          X