Memory Allocation Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Allocation Error

Eventually in my Huge map games I invariably receive a Memory Allocation Error and the game subsequently collapses. It usually happens near the Modern era, when I presume their are too many units and other functions for the game/my computer to handle. I typically play the Wolfshanze mod.

I'm using a 2.2 Ghz Intel CPU with 3 gigs of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT for a graphics card.

Now I'm told that this game doesn't perform well with nvidia video cards, and already have the graphics quality of the game set to Low. I also have already turned most background programs off and this is really frustrating. Part of the reason I got a new laptop was so I could play Civ4. Does anyone know of a way that I can at least reduce the number of occurrences of this?

Oh, I do hope this is in the right forum.

Thanks
    I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Without getting into your system and game settings details, the best suggestion is to restart occasionally. It's pretty well documented by the fanbase that CIV has a memory leak or something. So the longer you play (especially during the modern era when you and the AIs all have a ton of units and a ton of polygons in game due to more buildings and larger cities) the worse it will get.

So, simply save occasionally, close the game, and start it up again. I don't think you have to restart Windows but doing so would definitely clean up all fragged memory.

Comment

I don't think that's necessary, as it eventually crashes every 3-4 turns. All I can do is save the game at every turn. At least I'm not alone, though.

Thanks

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 25, 2010, 08:30.
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

AAHZ, I don't get that error from Wolf's mod AT ALL.

Comment

Well, I have experienced AAHZ problem as well...
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

AAHZ,

So far I've only loaded my main save file (I recently added another thread asking how to find auto-saved games). However, when loading the game, I first start Civ4, then open the game file, which requires the program to restart Civ4 with Wolfshanze. Would setting the Wolfshanze mod as the default Civ4 program help?

Comment

You can also simply double-click on the saved game (straight from Windows). CIV is smart enough to load the game with whichever mod you saved it from. This saves considerable trouble if you play with different mods. Combined with this trick, you might want to make an alias right on your desktop which goes to the saved game folder.

Anyway, to anyone who is having trouble with Wolf's mod, I'd suggest telling him about it. He's good about fixing stuff. As for me, I play it all the time, and have had no trouble at all.
                Last edited by wodan11; January 17, 2009, 09:33.

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

If you guys want to post a save, I'll see if I can load it and play a few turns.

Comment

Attached Files
                      Order of the Fly

Comment

i think its civ4bts because i get that in a binchof mods -revolution, etc. real unforunate and frustrating
                        Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

Working...
                          X