Civ IV expansion packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ IV expansion packs

I've owned Civ IV since about Christmas 2005 (and I've played & loved Civ 1-3 since 1992), but just recently got a computer that can handle it. Since then, Beyond the Sword and Warlords have been released.

Should I just play and enjoy vanilla Civ IV? If not, should I get BOTH expansion packs? Does one depend on the other? Thanks.
    Soli Deo Gloria

Vanilla is good. Warlords is better. Many people think BTS is the best...

BtS has the same content as warlords-plus, except that Warlords has some scenarios that are quite good. If you like scenarios, get both.

Actually, cheapest is probably just to get all three in one - the Civ 4 Complete or whatever - even though you have Vanilla already, it's still probably cheaper than the two expansions separately.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

BtS. Don't neglect to get the 3.17 update, however. Then get the Better AI (or some mod that includes it).

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        Vanilla is good. Warlords is better. Many people think BTS is the best...

BtS has the same content as warlords-plus, except that Warlords has some scenarios that are quite good. If you like scenarios, get both.

Actually, cheapest is probably just to get all three in one - the Civ 4 Complete or whatever - even though you have Vanilla already, it's still probably cheaper than the two expansions separately.
        Thanks to both for the replies. Let me get this straight: If I get BtS, then I will get everything that's in Warlords (changes to the core program, civs, units, corporations, other new features) except for some scenarios?

Also, are all patches available at Apolyton? Thanks again.
        Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by holy View Post
          Thanks to both for the replies. Let me get this straight: If I get BtS, then I will get everything that's in Warlords (changes to the core program, civs, units, corporations, other new features) except for some scenarios?

In addition to the other suggestions, I would advise getting the BUG mod - available at "another place". It does not change the game play at all, but makes a lot of in game information much more readily available.

RJM
          Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Originally posted by holy View Post

Yes, BtS.
            I think there's more downloadable stuff at CFC than at poly but the patches, official and not, are available here.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

After installing BtS and Warlords, you can still run the vanilla game (and warlords) separately.

I'd recommend getting BtS since I think it improves the game but I'd also recommend playing vanilla a few games first to get the feel of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarco View Post
                After installing BtS and Warlords, you can still run the vanilla game (and warlords) separately.

I'd recommend getting BtS since I think it improves the game but I'd also recommend playing vanilla a few games first to get the feel of it.
                I got Civ IV Complete (contains vanilla, Warlords and BtS) from Saturn for 9.99€. That's what I call a great bargain ! If I were you, I would try to get a similar deal from an on-line vendor (assuming there's no "Saturn" outlet where you live)

Comment

The Wolfshanze mod is a wonderful replacement for the base game. That's all I play anymore... I don't use the base game at all. And Wolf has the patches built in so you don't need to mess around installing all of them.

Comment

You'll appreciate whether or not you like the suggested mod, if you play the regular BTS game first until you master victory. Then test the Wolfshanze mod which enhances the military aspect of the game. I wouldn't bother with vanilla or Warlords at all as they are much inferior to BTS and, as an old hand, you won't need the raw experience to get your feet under you. Don't start your first game on the highest level, the AI is really quite well coded in this version. Good luck!
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Purchased BtS!

I finally purchased Beyond the Sword! I just ordered it at Buy.com for just under $10. Merry Christmas to myself! I have owned the original game since Christmas 2004 or 2005 and have never taken it out of the box. I'm overseas but will be home for Christmas for a few weeks. A house, marriage, baby, work, and life in general have taken me away from gaming. I'm excited to get back to Civ after about a 7-year hiatus. As I said earlier, I've played Civ I, II, and III extensively (though not all the mods) over the years since 1992.

Thanks again for your advice!

(Yes, I know that I'm a full version behind since Civ V is out. Give me 5-10 years to get around to it.)
                      Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Don't bother. V sounds lame and the consensus of veteran players seems to be that it is. I'd be playing IV now if my wife's laptop could run it--my PC's a couple of thousand miles away.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Civ5 impressions

@Elok: Thanks for the advice. I haven't done much research on Civ5 because I've been reading up on Civ4 so much, but I have heard things that match what you say (that it's not so great). So, maybe I'll play Civ4 for several years and then jump straight to Civ6!
                          Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                            X