What's up with..machineguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with..machineguns

New player here. Playing fine..get machineguns and am going to go to war and oops..machineguns won't attack the enemy in cities or outside. What gives? defensive unit only these machineguns? Help

Yes, tremendous in defence, nothing anywhere else.

They take no collateral damage too which makes them super useful.
    www.neo-geo.com

Comment

More like machine gun fortifications, which is why they don't attack.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

And they have a chance to intercept air units. As noted, very useful.
        Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
        http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

I also agree that Machine Guns are very useful. But you need to stack them with units that can attack and/or place them inside border cities (inculding the newly taken ones)
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by robbie04
            What gives? defensive unit only these machineguns?
            Exactly, they can't attack anything.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
              But you need to stack them with units that can attack and/or place them inside border cities (inculding the newly taken ones)
              What I like to do is have a machine gun with a medic promotion go with an attack force. First city I take it becomes garrison and healer. Also handy if the stack gets hit by siege weapons before taking a city out.
              Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
              http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Is it really that good? I rarely build them at all.
                Please relegate everything i type to the noob zone. Thank you

Comment

It's really good when it first becomes adviable.

Which brings us to the one downside not mentioned, it has a bit of a limited life span. That is they simply won't get the job done if attacked by Tanks or Marines.

Unless I'm planning a war at the time I'm underlikely to actually build any, but I will have promoted a few pre Gunpowder units into Machine Guns.
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewie0416
                    Is it really that good? I rarely build them at all.
                    They make terrific defenders for your coastal cities. The AI will now launch amphibious attacks, and MGs can break them.

Welcome to Apolyton.

and Welcome to Apolyton robbie04.
                    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                      It's really good when it first becomes adviable.

Which brings us to the one downside not mentioned, it has a bit of a limited life span. That is they simply won't get the job done if attacked by Tanks or Marines.

Unless I'm planning a war at the time I'm underlikely to actually build any, but I will have promoted a few pre Gunpowder units into Machine Guns.
                      It depends on your research order tendencies, you get rifling and railways in really sharply if you're so minded. I usually have machine guns taking out everything from grenadiers onwards and when you do find one of your opponents is knocking out fighters or infantry early then machine guns are really a great place to start your defence.

They'll never be your most built unit, but it's a strange game that they aren't useful in.
                      www.neo-geo.com

Comment

I used to never build them since I don't really play defense.

But since they gave them air defense capabilities and the AI goes for physics while i'm focusing on assembly and railroad, there is a window where they have some value so I'll build a few now.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Useful to defend the borders exposed by attacking in another direction. Also useful, as noted, as medic/CG units to protect stack and newly taken city. To get those promos, give them to archery line units you intend to upgrade to MGs. MGs are great cavalry killers, but can be affected by flanking when not in a city.
                          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

You can also build Grenadiers for the combat and CG promos and upgrade them to MG right away.
                            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
                              You can also build Grenadiers for the combat and CG promos and upgrade them to MG right away.
                              I love MGs with CG promos. They rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X