No announcement yet.

Borders and Exploration Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you fight a war against an enemy on the other side of an ally's or neutral's territory?

I like "outpost" for the early fort. Sounds familiar.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Given a supply feature in civ, the only affect would be a slight reduction in health each turn of the combat units, perhaps one or two %. So, you WOULD be able to go "out of supply," you just wouldn't be able to for an extended period of time. "Supply units" would definitely be a requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Unimatrix11
        I have often pointed to it, but i shall do so again: ´Strategic Command II´ features a good supply system, which is easy to use, and the AI handles it pretty well.
        Is the game good? I can't say I have heard of it.
        Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
          If there's a restriction on how far military units can go, there could be a problem with early expansion if you don't have any good sites within that radius.
          • *Warrior to settler: OK, this is as far as we go. You're on your own now.
            *Settler: OMG BEARS! Arrrrggghhh!
          That would certainly add some extra emotion. Lots of cold sweatin' until that settler reaches the promised land.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader

Is the game good? I can't say I have heard of it.
            It´s the best TBS WW2 game I know. Strikes the perfect balance between playablility and depth IMO. And the AI is quite good as well. If you like WW2-TBS and dont care too much about graphics, this is definetaly for you (esp. if you have a friend to play against).

Seeing how long the AI takes per turn in SC2, i can understand why we dont have supply in Civ 4. I´d estimate that the between-turn-waiting-time would roughly double if not more (see the lag when you block an enemy harbor and the game recalculates trade routes). But i think, we will see it in Civ 5, as the topic as been brought up repeatedely by now, also as a means to limit stack sizes and thus have some form of ´fronts´ develope. By Civ5, the hardware will allow for it, without too much lag. In any case, supply lines may require PC-ressources, but if implemented properly, the concept does require close to no additional micro-management at all (maybe comparable to the concept of ´wounded units´).

Comment

I think the exploration should be carried out by trading units, not military units.

It's trade that drives exploration in almost every instance. Military units should be more constrained in where they can go though, I agree.
              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Originally posted by johnmcd
                I think the exploration should be carried out by trading units, not military units.
                It's trade that drives exploration in almost every instance. Military units should be more constrained in where they can go though, I agree.
                It is hunters and trappers that go out first, similar to scouts in our game. Later exploration is done, as JohnMCD notes, by those seeking to exploit the resources that have been found. Eventually, settlers move in to fish, farm, and mine. This latter set of people will demand military support. The merchants will want protection of particular sites. Other than the Conquistadors and Cossacks, very little exploration of virgin territory was led by the military.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                X