No announcement yet.

Game Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried most maps but play almost exclusively Tectonics. Then again, I use 70, 60, 30% water or Terra, with some Erebus maps when playing FfH2. So this counts as varied.

I mostly play random civs.

I play mostly normal speed, with some epic.

I always leave all victory conditions on and tried to complete each at least once. I often don't know where I'm headed, what with some random maps, but usually I win by diplomatic victory in order to avoid tedious cleanup that I need to do with domination or conquest.

I now play with the agressive AI always on, except sometimes in FfH2 because the ai does dumb things there and I don't know why.

I mostly play with tech brokering turned off.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Is there any way to change settings after start? Mine forgot my custom settings for some reason, and I fixed most of them but I forgot to turn off Vassal states. (I really, really hate Capitulation, makes the strong stronger, and pretty soon sets a steam-roller in motion that flattens everything.)
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

No, there is NOT any way to change settings after start? Either quit & start over (without forgetting the settings), OR ...
        continue with what you've got; you MIGHT appreciate and/or enjoy it this time.

I presume you're using Aggressive AI (and even Better AI) so that YOU are not the only one doing the steam-rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
          No, there is NOT any way to change settings after start? Either quit & start over (without forgetting the settings), OR ...
          continue with what you've got; you MIGHT appreciate and/or enjoy it this time.

I presume you're using Aggressive AI (and even Better AI) so that YOU are not the only one doing the steam-rolling.
          Actually, I don't use those. I'd get crushed horribly if I did. I'm playing an 18 player game on Monarch and I'm in the center of the map But I set raging barbarians and built the Great Wall
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

18 civ games actually help players on higher levels b/c the AI runs out of territory quickly and if you grab land early you'll have an edge, throw in an early rush and you have a huge advantage (if successful).
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

With so many civs, how is there any room for barbs? For a lot of barbs, you REDUCE the number of civs!

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                18 civ games actually help players on higher levels b/c the AI runs out of territory quickly and if you grab land early you'll have an edge, throw in an early rush and you have a huge advantage (if successful).
                That's generally true if Vassals are off. Once you turn that off, one or more AI civs starts winning quick wars against others and building a very fast empire.

I am very much a builder and a perfectionist. Doing a quick rush is almost the antithesis of my play style. I'm trying to get better at early expansion, but the clustering of ancient wonders around the early techs works against me.

With so many civs, how is there any room for barbs? For a lot of barbs, you REDUCE the number of civs!
                Normally no, but with raging barbarians, a couple civs get wiped out by them, and also the barbarians hold their own in the spaces between civs. In the year 600 AD, I still have wide open spaces between myself and all but one of my neighbours. I myself can't expand anymore due to city maintenance. I don't have code of laws yet, and the lack of trade routes is hurting. Now that I have currency though I could theoretically run big deficits and sell old technology to the AI for money.
                Last edited by Victor Galis; October 26, 2008, 15:32.
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                X