Why are there no Civ4 based RPGs?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are there no Civ4 based RPGs?!?

Remember the RPG scenario that came with CtP2? When Civ4 came out with EXP and then BtS introduced events and quests I expected to see lots of RPG games.. then I saw Fall from Heaven and their cool fantasy unit graphics and thought: "Yup, just a matter of time"... its been such a long time since then and still nothing.

Why is this? Are people just sticking too much to the strategy genre? I think civ4 BtS could be a great platform for a whole series of RPG mods and lots of civ playres also like role-playing games.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Fall From Heaven?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
      Fall From Heaven?
      Not RPG but fantasy strategy.

I'm talking about a "real" RPG. I think civ4 is flexible enough to handle it. The Japanese scenario that came with Call to Power 2 was a small RPG where you played a Samurai trying to get enough companions to help defend a poor village from evil doers.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

You mean something like Afterworld? Which is very boring IMO.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

AW just seemed tedious to me and also I don't like every person must live rules when controling multiple units.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
            You mean something like Afterworld?
            What?

Noooo, afterwold is more of a tactical combat thing, and it sucks big time, its only good as a show of how flexible civ4 is.

I meant something along the lines of the many free RPGs that one can download. Have people forgotten how 2D RPG's looked like?

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
              AW just seemed tedious to me and also I don't like every person must live rules when controling multiple units.

I hope Manianc didn't kill interest in my thread by mentioning Afterworld.

There would be no must live rules in the RPG, the only unit that must live would be your character.

Comment

I suppose it could be done. Talk to the CFC crowd.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

When you said RPG was you thinking something like Might&Magic,
                  Ultima or Radiance series?

Best regards,

Comment

Well the trickiest part is coming up with a good concept.

As for implementing: Monsters appearing is quite similar to Barb units being created. If your only in charge of 1 char then if that's the only unit on a team the game will automaticly end in defeat if he's wiped out.

Walls would be really similar to Mountain Peaks in effect.

by removing the limit of XP from barbs, the char could grow thru succesful combat.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

signing up to be a worker.....
                      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I was actually thinking a barbs/monsters should have a limit as they would be the equivalent of "random encounters".

Maybe 1000 XP instead of 10.

Also there would be 2 ways to advance:
                        1. Promotions
                        2. Tech

Tech you would gain through completing quests or spending turns studying (sacrificing movement and staying in a library, these techs would enable promotions and even have direct effects on your units (if that is possible) or perhaps unlocking "epic classes" (unit upgrades).

Also civics would become "beliefs" or something, if it would be possible to make it so that civics affect units this would be a great addition.

Comment

your best bet would be to try to mod fall from heaven. it already has a great deal of the features you mention.

Comment

Working...
                          X