Manufactured Goods output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manufactured Goods output

Anybody have an idea what improvements or research topics affect the Manufactured Goods category? I consistently lag in this area, and it drags down my overall score.

In fact, I can have Culture off the chart, and be top four in all other steady categories (i.e, not including gold,) and still take a beating on productivity. Very annoying.
    That horse is fake!

It does not directly have any affect on score, only on production (which INdirectly may affect your score).

Not that experienced players seem to pay much attention to their score.

I have always ASSUMED that it was your number of hammers produced, either before or after building (and civic) modifiers.

Comment

MG = hammers per turn * hammer enhancers (forge, factory, power) per city, all added together for a total for your civ. The hammers build Wonders, buildings, and units, enriching your civ, your cities, your military strength. Improvements to land for hammers include mines, windmills, watermills, and workshops. Additionally, plains tiles add a hammer per tile to the city's total when worked.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

What?! Civics aren't included AT ALL??
        Organized Religion, several others in mods available (e.g., Hephmod Beyond).

Comment

Well I can't win the game if I don't have the highest score I tend to start falling behind about the time gunpowder makes an appearance, so taking a look at score breakouts, I see that overall I'm doing pretty well, except for manufactured goods. But I can't figure out what I need to do to boost production.

What kills me is that another civ who is doing better than me will not be exploiting his land anywhere near the degree I am - hardly any farms, mostly cottages, and it seems nobody ever uses workshops.

On the flipside, it seems that focusing on cultural (as opposed to industrial) wonders isn't worth it, because they don't carry enough weight.
          That horse is fake!

Comment

I´d suggest you´d post a save (not that i intent to look at it tho)

Comment

Originally posted by HaplessHorde
              Well I can't win the game if I don't have the highest score
              I can't recall ever having the highest score in a game I won - at least at the higher levels. I get a bit nervous if I'm more than 1,000 points behind the leader (unless the leader has vassals). On the whole though, I take more interest in how technologically advanced I am compared with others. And I try to keep pumping out enough units so that I don't look like a sitting duck.

I do find the score useful in the early game. It provides a benchmark against which I can judge my performance. But as the game goes on, I find the score less and less useful.

RJM
              Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers

I can't recall ever having the highest score in a game I won - at least at the higher levels. I get a bit nervous if I'm more than 1,000 points behind the leader (unless the leader has vassals). On the whole though, I take more interest in how technologically advanced I am compared with others. And I try to keep pumping out enough units so that I don't look like a sitting duck.

I do find the score useful in the early game. It provides a benchmark against which I can judge my performance. But as the game goes on, I find the score less and less useful.

RJM
                Huh! And here I thought the leaderboard was useful. I guess it stands to reason that part of why I suck at this game so bad is that I'm focusing on the wrong things. Well, back to the wilderness. Thanks to all for the input.
                That horse is fake!

Comment

It's really obvious when you play OCC since you're always at the bottom but leading in tech. (until you eliminate them of course, when doing a conquest victory.)
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                    What?! Civics aren't included AT ALL??
                    Organized Religion, several others in mods available (e.g., Hephmod Beyond).
                    Yes Civics count. State Property adds 10 % hammers in each city; Something adds a hammer to each town; Organized Religion improves production by 25 % in each city with state religion; Bureaucracy increases the capitol's hammers by 50 %; there may be more. Help me out folks.

Do any of the wonders directly affect hammer production? I know that a golden age adds one hammer per tile for each tile with at least one hammer. Great person type-Engineer can rush any construction project (building or Wonder). Several civs have unique buildings that increase production including the monster building, Dutch ****s, that add a hammer in each river and water tile. The **** replaces levees, available to all civs, that add one hammer to each tile bordered by a river. It can be built in any city that was built on a fresh water tile next to a river.
                    Last edited by Blaupanzer; October 27, 2008, 14:54.
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Moai Statues add a hammer to each water square in the city where built. Some techs add hammers to workshops, windmills, and water mills. The civic, Caste System, adds a hammer to workshops, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by HaplessHorde
                        Well I can't win the game if I don't have the highest score
                        A high score is irrelevant for anything but a Time victory.

Comment

Score does matter in one way. The AIs use the score to determine which civ is the leader. They cooperate less with the leaders, modified by their view of the power score. More powerful civs get some deference on everything but techs.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                            It's really obvious when you play OCC since you're always at the bottom but leading in tech. (until you eliminate them of course, when doing a conquest victory.)
                            wait what? People play OCC in Civ4? Is there a thread on that? No BC era AC landings, I trust?
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

wait what? People play OCC in Civ4? Is there a thread on that? No BC era AC landings, I trust?
                              There's even an option for that in Civ4, on custom games IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                              X