Fat cross question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theben
    you can also build forest preserves next to empty tiles in the hope that forests will grow into adjacent tiles.
    Though forests will only grow in the cardinal directions (NESW, aka 8624 on the keypad). They do not grow from the diagonal.

You can build mines on hills on the slight chance that a resource will be discovered there.
    Resources only appear on mines that are worked, so this does not apply outside the BFC. (I raised this issue shortly after Civ4 came out while I was desparately seeking iron, and Solver explained it to me).

Comment

coal / uranium / aluminium can appear anywhere.

Though it's a bit of a long shot to build mines everywhere in the hope of having those already upgraded when they appear

In a warzone, it's still useful to build upgrades to slow enemy advance though. They'll stop and pillage. The fools!

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
        coal / uranium / aluminium can appear anywhere.
        I thought this was only when they're originally exposed. (when you get the tech)

Afterwards I thought they could only be discovered on a worked mine.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, Diadem misunderstood the question. If you talk about later randomly generated resources, they only appear on worked mines.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Ah.

Yes, random spawned resources only appear on worked mines, I agree.

What I meant was that revealed resources can appear anywhere.

Comment

One more question please, when adding up the food values of the tiles, what I have read is to value the city at +2f....is this on top of, or instead of what ever value the tile already holds?

for instance if I build a city on a 3 food tile (+1f), would I count it as +2f or +3f

Thanks!

Comment

The city tile is 2 food, unless it is more naturally (if you settle on a corn grassland, for example, you get 3 food from the city tile). If you have one citizen working on an improved plains cow (3f 3h) and the normal city tile (2f 1h) you would have 5f 4h.

Comment

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by saw
                    One more question please, when adding up the food values of the tiles, what I have read is to value the city at +2f....is this on top of, or instead of what ever value the tile already holds?

for instance if I build a city on a 3 food tile (+1f), would I count it as +2f or +3f

Thanks!
                    You should also know that if the city tile always produces at least one hammer and one commerce, but can produce more if the city is founded on a tile that naturally produces more hammers/commerce (for instance, a plains hill gold on a river is 2 hammers and I believe 3 commerce, meaning that if you found a city there, the city square will produce 2 food, 2 hammer, and 3 gold.)

The city tile is 2 food, unless it is more naturally (if you settle on a corn grassland, for example, you get 3 food from the city tile). If you have one citizen working on an improved plains cow (3f 3h) and the normal city tile (2f 1h) you would have 5f 4h.
                    Two caveats: 1)this does not apply to flood plains, founding a city on a flood plain destroys the flood plain and transforms it to normal desert. 2) It is very rarely a good idea to found on a pasturable/farmable resource.
                    You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Indeed. Flood plains is like forest, in that it's a feature on a terrain type; it's only removable by settling on it (no chopping for flood plains!) but it does go away (this is more obvious if you go into worldbuilder).

Comment

Hum, that also gives an incentive to keep a city that was founded on flood plains as opposed to raizing and building the replacement one tile over.
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Not an incentive per se as much as just making it pointless (since the flood plains isn't giving the city any benefit).

Comment

If you raze a city that was founded on floodplains, the tile will become desert. So yeah, you usually want to keep those cities, unless they are very badly placed.

It's very annoying when you have this perfect spot for a powerhouse commerce city and the AI slams there in the wrong spot, killing your floodplains.

Comment

Didn't know about the city turning flood plains to desert... but I hardly raze cities
                              Originally posted by Diadem
                              It's very annoying when you have this perfect spot for a powerhouse commerce city and the AI slams there in the wrong spot, killing your floodplains.
                              Agree... And then they build other cities close by making it hard to "move" the city after you razed it.

Comment

Is it possible to recall workboats from within the fat cross when a barb or AI galley is in the vicinity?

Comment

Working...
                                X