Help! Montezuma in the Earth 1000 AD scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Montezuma in the Earth 1000 AD scenario

I'm referring to the updated 1000 AD scenario.

No matter what I do I just can't seem to shake last place on Monarch difficulty. Does anyone have any tips?

Should I perhaps not settle, but move to the USA and then conquer the two barbarian cities, leaving Citizen Itza alone? Is the move worth it? Or does it cost too many turns?

Which techs should I pursue? Should I conquer the Incas?
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

ha! you are toast anyway as soon as the others (europeans) find you. they are far more advanced and will eventually declare war. try to be friendly for as long as you can and maybe you are lucky. definetely take the others out, there should be some guys to the south as well. make sure you don't build/take cities that are too far away, they are easy prey for the europeans. but take them out as soon as you can! at least take the capitals. then use your kiss-ass diplomacy to get some advances from the others, they even might give you advances because you are too far behind. they gave me 6! yeah, I quit as soon as the english started to attack me with cuirassiers, I had only warriors....

good luck. Mc

Comment

Originally posted by martin mcmartin
      ha! you are toast anyway as soon as the others (europeans) find you. they are far more advanced and will eventually declare war. try to be friendly for as long as you can and maybe you are lucky. definetely take the others out, there should be some guys to the south as well. make sure you don't build/take cities that are too far away, they are easy prey for the europeans. but take them out as soon as you can! at least take the capitals. then use your kiss-ass diplomacy to get some advances from the others, they even might give you advances because you are too far behind. they gave me 6! yeah, I quit as soon as the english started to attack me with cuirassiers, I had only warriors....

good luck. Mc
      Thanks for the advice.

Aztecks indeed do suck, a spiritual and agressive civ that has a poprush friendly UB. The problem arises since all religions have been founded by the time you start, you have no nearby easily conquerable enemies and you can't really poprush since you need population to get at least some advances!

The only hope of survival is to get Christianity and convert to it, but this is something that you can't control.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

The Aztecs are a great nation to play in the normal game, just not in this game
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Save and screenshot from 1806 AD

Here is the save and a screenshot, can anyone give me any additional advice?

I settled my first city a bit North of the start, near Texas actually, I think it helped me a bit.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Heraclitus; August 22, 2008, 11:49.

Comment

It appears that your cities are too loosely packed, something to be fixed for next game. You could be having a positive cash flow with a single city producing wealth.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
              It appears that your cities are too loosely packed, something to be fixed for next game. You could be having a positive cash flow with a single city producing wealth.

I still haven't gotten the feel for good city placement in civ, I just hate overlap waaay too much, I can't help myself.

But in this instance I was trying to take up as much land as I could to make sure I have as few Euro neighbors as possible.
              Last edited by Heraclitus; August 22, 2008, 13:51.

Comment

Jaybe is saying your cities don't overlap enough in this case. Actually, the placement would be ideal, except for forsaking the metals opportunities to your immediate west. I say "would be" because that 3-squares distance lets you exploit all of the land in each city as you grow. However, you need to be close enough to transfer defenders city to city in one move, if you are to fight at a tech disadvantage. That's 2 empty squares between cities, rather than the three you are using. Cities spread to create the broadest cultural coverage will be too isolated from one another to spring to the other cities' aid in an invasion.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

hi Heraclitus, and the others.

I would not care too much about city placement. packed or not, I could not defend myself in the games I tried. actually I found myself whipping all the time because of the lack of enough space to grow, so I would say that your cities are just fine. and it looks nice as well. I hate it when things are not organized well. I see that you are building crossbowmen, nice one, that will keep the others away. get s**tloads of units, as much as you can afford and wait till the "end". best would be to get a defensive pact or so with whoever wants it. that will help defending your nation. open your borders to let them in, they could eventually defend your territories when invasion is happening. if all is too dull for you, get some boats and find the ones to the south. allthough at this stage it will be a little late since they will have enough strenght to defend. right from the start it the best time to go south. you could even walk there if I am correct.

nice! I am definetely going to spend my weekend on the same scenario, first need to go and prepare myself though, i.e. buy myself some beers end cigarettes :-)

Mc

Comment

Originally posted by martin mcmartin
                    if all is too dull for you, get some boats and find the ones to the south. allthough at this stage it will be a little late since they will have enough strenght to defend. right from the start it the best time to go south. you could even walk there if I am correct.

nice! I am definetely going to spend my weekend on the same scenario, first need to go and prepare myself though, i.e. buy myself some beers end cigarettes :-)

Mc
                    I've started a new game, this time I've invaded the Incas (the southern civ). You need boats to reach them. It also helps to found a city somewhere on near modern panama so your boats don't have to sail all the way to Argentina (the mountain peaks isolate the Incas from the Amazon.

I could have completley conquered them by 1650 AD but I preferd to vassselize them, since you push them back technologically they make a good tech trading partner. I also gave them a boat so they can settle the rest of South America (better than the Euros).

Have fun with the scenario, I know I am.

I don't play to win when I'm in such a bad situation, I just play as best as I can, and have enjoy the alternative history I create. In my first game Byzantium never fell and the arabs where stuch in Iran and Arabia. But in this game the Arabs have taken over all of Africa and are constantly fighting Europe.

Comment

General rule for Monty in, well, any game, is to kill him off as quickly as possible.
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Unless you are Monty. Then your job is to kill everyone else, using slaved units.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                        X