Option tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Option tweaks

There are a handful of game set up options I'd love to have but don't exist,

- disable minor events, I play without events because by the mid and late game the flurry or events, most trivial, becomes really annoying. At best they're an interruption, at worst it degenerates to the old whack of mole of pollution.

- Start quality modifier, it would be cool if you could select an especially awesome start or a particularly awful start. When you're trying a new difficulty level it would give you the running start you sometimes need if you opened up with a couple of gems or when you fancy a bit of a change, to fire up a softer difficulty but find yourself at the back of a tundra island.
    www.neo-geo.com

Both of those could be solved in mods, I think. Dont know how long it would take to do them though; the implementation could vary quite a lot for each one.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Krill, that was a wonderfully generic spam

You can disable minor events by going into the event xml file and setting their frequencies to zero... most of the minor events are grouped together, I believe. (Or just set them lower.)

The latter I suspect you'd modify through the map script (in python). The easiest way would be to take one of the map scripts you use and make a 'good starting location' version that checks your quality of start (I think they do that now to some extent), and a 'bad starting location' version.

Or just use the map scripts that are already there, as some give very different frequencies of good/bad start
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

There is a quality of start setting in the file that controls the difficulty level. In there is a setting related to start location in which the best for the human is that for settler and worst for deity. Pick your level and modify that entry to the Settler-level number.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Ooh, learn something new every day... thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            Krill, that was a wonderfully generic spam
            Why thank you. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the quality of start setting (though I will be having a look at that on my three day break next week), and doing something as crude as making a copy of whatever files the events are in and deleting each one that the player considers minor is probably not the best way to go about things.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Actually, it's a fine way of going about things, if you play no MP (or, as I said, setting their frequencies to zero).

In any event, you basically had nothing useful to say, yet managed to say it anyway Hence, excellent quality spam

Comment

And in an on topic forum, to

Comment

What is a minor event, precisely? Are these some of the things like windstorms, undsoweiter?
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Playing marathon, there don't seem to be that many events, and I actually INCREASE event happenstance, by changing EVENT_PROBABILITY_ROLL_SIDES to 80 (from 100).
                    If there is an occasional improvement-destroying event in the latter game period, it gives my workers something to do, and I DO appreciate the late-game variability!

My games generally end around game turn 1000.

Comment

Working...
                    X