What's up with Darius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Darius?

Maybe it's a coincidence, but in every game where Darius is present, he's either constantly at the bottom of the list or is conquered by barbarians early in the game.
    Do you see that happening in your game too?

Last edited by Colm; August 8, 2008, 06:38.

Geeze, I sure hope not because I just started a game as Darius!

Comment

I don't remember seeing Darius die (or ever meet him as opponent).

Cyrus on the other hand is one of the best leaders IMHO. Can easily make either early settler spawn or Immortal + GG rush. Then the Charismatic + UB give him large population from the very beginning. It would be interesting if there is such a big difference between the two leaders.

Comment

There are civ choices that the ai just cannot play very well, just as there are some that it can play exceptionally.

Darius, is one of the former, along with Sie Germans, Sitting Bull, Hatshepsut, Lincoln, Ragnar and a few others. in nearly all games, they become vassels or get destroyed outright.

On the flip side, Zara, Quin, Catherine, Huyana, Mansa and Willem will always be points leaders when they are present.

There are even AI controlled civs that often do very well during or until a certain era. Isabella springs to mind. usually a world power until the renasaince, then she will fade into obscurity. Montezuma should be greatly feared in the ancient era, but his style of play makes him a non threat very quickly (as long as it was not you that had to bear the brunt of his attempted conquests). Tokugawa During the middle ages, samurai or not, but never a late game points leader.
        Last edited by Hauptman; August 8, 2008, 10:22.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Darius has been a pain in the butt most times I've had him as a neighbor. Ragnar is the one that gets killed by barbs the most in my games (aka twice, 1 more than any other). It can be fun if the barb city/former capital is isolated for a long time... I came upon the city of Sidaros as barb city in the late 1800's one game at the end of an island chain. The barb culture was huge!! And the city was size 16! I'd never seen such a well-developed "barbarian" state before!
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Well, Darius seems to indeed lose pretty often lately. Last time we played, he forfeited 4 games on a single evening... or did you not mean my gaming-buddy ?

Comment

Darius as an AI is generally dangerous in my experience. Of course, this depends on him getting horses to build his UU. Without that, he just muddles along. A lot of the financial civs are vulnerable early, especially to raging barbs.

Theben, I have seen a few cases where the barbs have a set of two or three large, well-placed cities by the time they are found. This is especially true if they overrun a civ post its initial expansion. Generally, the cities only have two defenders each, lots of cottages and workshops, and not much else. (The number of defenders is determined by the difficulty level -- being more as we move up, but still 2 at Prince level.)
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Darius should be a techmonster if he gets a decent starting location with horses for secure expansion.

When I play as him it feels a bit like cheating 'cause of his financial awesomeness
                More than enough is too much!

Comment

Originally posted by Loxy
                  Darius should be a techmonster if he gets a decent starting location with horses for secure expansion.
                  Funny you say that Loxy, I'm playing Darius now but I didn't choose him to be a techmonster. The funny thing is, with my economy chugging away I'm running 100% science and still have a positive cash flow and no reason to throttle back.

You'd think the AI wouldn't have such a hard time playing Darius.

Comment

Once I was playing multiplayer with two friends and some AI civs on a large map (monarch). I decided to try winning without war against AIs since I consider Darius allready to powerfull and I am still a builder at heart.

Each of us human players were on a different continent (3) and my main competitor was Ramses to the north. I kept building cities (6 or so) `till I ran out of land and then belined to monarchy and civil service beacause of my totally overpowered capital. All other cities I managed to build were only of mediocre quality. So I teched along and build a lot of troops for defense while developing my science center.

Ramses and Gilgamesh on my continent were quite scary in terms of size, but due to my financial awesomeness I was able to snag Polytheism and converted them to the true faith quite early with some backup from the shrine

So Ramses was the leader in terms of Size and Power and I happily traded with him an kept up with his teching speed with ease. My Power was also quite good 'cause I know the might of a standing army

So one of my friends had an idea of punching down Ramses while he still was able to after he had conquested his continent... and guess what

...one turn before his forces were able to put their feet on Egypt lands I dialed up my old buddy Ramses and decided that it would be best to unite against the untrustworthy infidels

Ramses of course happily agreed and my friend was like

He did not attack then because of the united might of Ramses and my troops... we waved him goodbye and since then I fully concentrated on wonderbuilding while Ramses kept on with pumping out Troops like mad after we vasalised Gilly

Darius
                    More than enough is too much!

Comment

Working...
                    X